Agfa Isolette II Lens/Shutter

Hello, I have an Agfa Isolette II and I was trying to find more information on it however I cannot find another example of this camera that has the same shutter/lens combination as mine. It is a Synchro-Compur Agfa Solinar 1:4,5/85

Does anyone have some information on this?

Hello everyone. Soren you have the top of the line lens & shutter combo for the Isolette II camera. Most of these cameras had the Apotar lens & the Prontor shutter. There is a difference between the lenses, but when the Apotar is used in the f11-f22 range, images are very, very close. I am not a shutter person, but the Synchro is reported to be a beefier shutter. That being said, I do not believe it has the 10 sec self timer which I find very handy, so both of the Isolettes ( II & III) I have are Prontor shuttered.

All of my Agfa folder cameras ( the two Isolettes & a Record III) required CLA's from years of sitting around. The grease used during this manufacturing time solidified into crayon consistency & prevents focusing. Another curse of this class of Agfa's were synthetic material bellows which crack & form light leaks. New bellows, in sexy colors!, were added during these CLA's. A bit expensive, yes, but these cameras are 1st class workers, being compact & relatively light weight,DSCF6624-horz.jpg.1da20e42f3a9d64398c4c40dd810e3d7.jpg & produce excellent negatives. Aloha, Bill

Edited by Bill Bowes

Me again. I just noticed your thread on the M2 vrs a Hassy. If the Isolette is working, try using it for several rolls & see if the Hassy is still in your thoughts. Ages ago I had tons of Hassy gear but also sold it. The 80mm lens on the Iso is a "normal" for the 6x6 format & works great for subjects 20 ft & out. You should catch on to the zone focusing within a roll. Aloha, Bill Edited by Bill Bowes

Me again. I just noticed your thread on the M2 vrs a Hassy. If the Isolette is working, try using it for several rolls & see if the Hassy is still in your thoughts. Ages ago I had tons of Hassy gear but also sold it. The 80mm lens on the Iso is a "normal" for the 6x6 format & works great for subjects 20 ft & out. You should catch on to the zone focusing within a roll. Aloha, Bill

Thank you so much for all your help, its awesome to know that I have the Agfa with the best lens and shutter combination. And I think that I will try out the Agfa for a while, I picked it up on my trip the Sweden last summer and never really got a ton of use out of it,I am exited to test it out.

A few hints for any brave Isolette photog doing battle with the film monsters !

All these "tests" are done with no film in the camera.

Check that the lens assembly will rotate freely, Infinity to just under 1 meter (metric) or 3ft (USA).. Do not force this focusing. If the focus will not turn, you have The Green Grease Disease. Agfa green crayon. Photo.net & the web have a ton of DIY fixes for this, but I only believe that a good CLA "cures" it.

If the focus is good, set the shutter on 1 sec & advance the film wheel until you hear a "click" or can see the red dot turn to another color (mine is very light mint green). This resets the double exposure prevention. Cock & Fire the shutter. Repeat (3) times & move on to the next speed, again (3) times. Do this with all speeds.

Now pull up the film advance knob, Open the back and place the empty 120 spool into the film take up cavity & push the knob assembly down.

The left film chamber is opened with the two tables top/bottom. Be carefull, these tabs rotate out and swing away to take the unexposed film spool. Put the new film into the holder (it may require a "firm" seating) and close it. Now take the film leader paper & run across the back into the empty take up spool, engage the slot & wind the paper until 1-2 wraps are on the spool.

Close the back. Pull the red window cover (middle of the back) down and SLOWLY advance the film. All kinds of bubbles, lines, what ever, will appear in the window (film types) but watch for circles that get larger as you advance. 3-5 of these appear before #1 appears in the window. STOP. . . You have arrived !

Find your subject, meter, set exposure & focus. Get in the habit of advancing the film first thing. Watch that red window carefully. etc, etc, etc.

For the 5-6 years I have been using these folders, a monopod &/or tripod are on hand, mostly for landscapes & scenic subjects. I do occasionally use a HH Isolette for farmers market work.

Isolette's use a 30mm push-on, Series V (5) adapter on the lens for sun shades & Series V drop in filters. Most of these are available on Ebay.

Edited by Bill Bowes