Again on Tri-x: what about microphen?

delfotribulato

I have tried this combo, and souped it at the rate recommended on the box - and the results were alright, but I don't know wether I would say that I would try it again. Nothing in particular - just a look thing. Of course, this is one of those things that you may love and I might hate - so try it. At worst, you will have technically good negs that you think could look better (my case) or you may just find it perfect. There is certainly no difficulty of a technical nature that I can think of preventing these two from behaving well together.

The main advantage to Microphen is that it's a speed enhancing developer. I typically use it only for push processing, which would mean up to 3200, maybe more, with 400 films like Tri-X, TMY, etc.

I was surprised to find that Microphen produced fairly grainy HP5+ negatives when the film was exposed and developed normally. Odd.

OTOH, I find it to be an excellent choice for use with TMX right at the box speed of 100.

Generally I prefer Microphen as undiluted stock solution for pushing, which I recycle several times. Occasionally I'll use it at 1+1 for one shot use. I found it very unsatisfactory at 1+3.