AF issue with Nikkor 200-500 F 5.6 FYI

Sandy Vongries

For the second time yesterday afternoon I had the autofocus stop working - I was shooting some birds and missed a couple of shots, then it started working again. Took the time to rummage around on line, and found this Link https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?lang=en_US&articleNo=000004723

The serial number checker is not working right now, but though quick fix suggestions are offered in the link, a firmware update is offered and probably needed long term.

• Like 2

For the second time yesterday afternoon I had the autofocus stop working - I was shooting some birds and missed a couple of shots, then it started working again. Took the time to rummage around on line, and found this Link https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?lang=en_US&articleNo=000004723

The serial number checker is not working right now, but though quick fix suggestions are offered in the link, a firmware update is offered and probably needed long term.

Thanks, Sandy. I'm going to follow-up on this for my lens.

You are referring to a very early service advisory for the 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR.

That is a lens I actually pre-ordered such that I received one of the earliest sample, and I just checked my receipt. I got that lens on September 21, 2015. Some really rare AF issue was discovered shortly after, and that condition is difficult to reproduce. Nikon announced that service advisory in early October 2015, like October 5 or 6:

Nikon Service Advisory for the 200-500mm/f5.6

See my first post on that thread:

Firmware in lenses with a serial number of 2008365 or higher have already been updated.

I pre-ordered that lens since I had a trip coming up in late November. And that AF issue is so trivial that I didn't bother to send the lens in for firmware upgrade, even after the trip. My 200-500 was fine for the next couple of years until I accidentally dropped it in 2018 and cracked the front barrel a bit so that I sent it in for repair. I assume Nikon also updated the firmware at that time.

I think Sandy got his lens maybe two years ago, in 2018?? I really doubt that any 200-500 other than the very early ones (like mine) are affected by this firmware issue.

Received mine in the first couple of days in May 2019. The serial is higher than the problem range (according to one source), but it has exhibited the behavior twice now. It has had significant use but has been treated gently - I have a specially fitted Tundra Case that it stays in when not actually in my hands. I will note future incidents and contact Nikon when their repair facility re opens. Actually, as long as I can make it work and get good shots, it might be more annoying to send it in and be without it than miss a shot once in a while!

As I recall, this issue affected early lenses. According to an old Nikon Rumors post, this affected serial numbers below 2008365. Not mentioned in most places, it also affected a relatively small batch of serial numbers starting with 600. My #6006057 was recalled. When I first tried it, it did have what seemed on quick tryout to be a slightly glitchy AF. Hard to evaluate on a short trial with a D3200 in the store, but I passed it up. At some point soon after, the store sent it back, and when I came back a few months later I bought it. No AF issues now.

I suspect that since Nikon service s temporarily not working, you're going to have to live with it for a while.

Thanks mine is in the 60# range, hasn't been a deal breaker by any means.

As I recall, this issue affected early lenses. According to an old Nikon Rumors post, this affected serial numbers below 2008365. Not mentioned in most places, it also affected a relatively small batch of serial numbers starting with 600. My #6006057 was recalled. When I first tried it, it did have what seemed on quick tryout to be a slightly glitchy AF. Hard to evaluate on a short trial with a D3200 in the store, but I passed it up. At some point soon after, the store sent it back, and when I came back a few months later I bought it. No AF issues now.

I suspect that since Nikon service s temporarily not working, you're going to have to live with it for a while.

• Like 1

Because of this thread, this morning I just realized that Nikon has a separate serial number sequences for Nikon USA's 200-500mm/f5.6. As I said, I had pre-ordered mine and received it in the very first shipment to my local store. Therefore, mine has to be among the earliest ones. My serial number is 60055nn and I received it in late September 2015. That AF issue was discovered very quickly and Nikon sent out that service advisory in early October 2015.

Unless you have a very early one from like from September or October 2015, and if your serial number is after 601nnnn, I really doubt that you have any issues. For non-US serial numbers, the cut off was 2008365 as I mentioned before.

If necessary, you can always send it back to Nikon US for firmware upgrade, after the COVID-19 closure is over.

• Like 2

For the second time yesterday afternoon I had the autofocus stop working - I was shooting some birds and missed a couple of shots, then it started working again.

Now I remember this happened to me way back - when the lens was newly released. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't; the condition varied and I could not quite pin it down. I was glad it was later identified as a problem and Nikon repaired it. I am surprised it is still a problem today. I have since sold that lens and got a new one.

Not imagined, happened - one or two OOF in a series of individual shutter trips, subject in the same place - still a very good lens. Even with the suggested quick fixes, not a problem unless it gets more prevalent.

No, it is not an imagination if you got the early version. That's what I thought it was until it was not.

Edited by Mary Doo

Because of this thread, this morning I just realized that Nikon has a separate serial number sequences for Nikon USA's 200-500mm/f5.6. As I said, I had pre-ordered mine and received it in the very first shipment to my local store. Therefore, mine has to be among the earliest ones. My serial number is 60055nn and I received it in late September 2015. That AF issue was discovered very quickly and Nikon sent out that service advisory in early October 2015.

Unless you have a very early one from like from September or October 2015, and if your serial number is after 601nnnn, I really doubt that you have any issues. For non-US serial numbers, the cut off was 2008365 as I mentioned before.

If necessary, you can always send it back to Nikon US for firmware upgrade, after the COVID-19 closure is over.

My goodness, what good memory you have Shun. For the heck of it I searched for Nikon repair in my emails and guess what I found:

Nikon received my lens for firmware upgrade on 10/28/2015, Serial #60050xx. Trying to attach the Nikon receipt - noticed there's their phone number as well.

909663503_200-500mmNikonServiceAcknowledgement_Estimate.jpg.87f7ae5415df931a77d428f614a8daea.jpg

Edited by Mary Doo
  • Like 1