Advice needed on correcting photo credit in the media

josepharmand

Recently during a soccer match, I had the opportunity to shoot for the opposing team's print media. They had no

shooter with them. As this is a minor league team, there really isn't a lot of dollars floating around, however I was

promised photo credit when and if my shots were published.

Not only were my photo's published on their website, they were picked up by a couple of other places. No photo

credit given at all. In review of this particular site, there was little or no credit given for most of the photos on their

site. Cest le vie, I am bummed that I can't add this to my resume, but again, it is a biased minor league website and

there is not a lot of prestige that goes with it.

However,

Where I need advice, is Radio Canada (CBC-BBC) picked up one of my photo's with their match report and gave

credit to another person. Does anyone know of protocol of how to correct, Is this a bad thing for the editor? I have

always been under the impression that the print media was very protective of giving proper credit. Any idea's would

be appreciated.

Joseph

Aside from including your name, copyright status, caption in ITPC, and watermarking photos before transmission at the begining, as it stands, you can send the goofed up parties a friendly reminder to include/correct photo credit. That's about all you can reasonably do at this point.

Thank you for the advice, As of this minute, the photo has been corrected. I was able to speak with the media manager of the team and he went through their channels and it has been corrected. Easier and less ominous that I had expected.

As this match was still going when this photo was transmitted to the east coast (deadlines) I had to switch memory cards and hand over the CF Card to the Media manager who picked out the photo's to send. No time for post processing.

I got lucky this time that credit has been corrected. Any ideas on how to deal with deadlines with print media when they are 3 hours ahead of you, and their deadline is prior to the match ending? In the future should I wave them off for a day or 12 hours to give myself time for post processing? I suspect this issue will re-appear next season for me.

Are you able to set up your camera to add a line of custom text to the metadata of each shot? I know I can with the consumer level d40x and d80, I would assume the pro-level cameras can do this as well. You could have your camera add a line to each shot with your name and "copyright 2008", maybe even your email address or website address. This doesn't mean the editors would necessarily see it, but at least it would be there. Just a thought...

Obtain media outfit's ftp/upload info and access in advance, bring your own laptop, select your own handful of photos

to transmit, batch process watermarks, captions, etc. at halftime, send them off, then go back to shoot. If you want

to send all your photos in card, then make sure you have fast card and reader to download and transmit at half time.

You can forget about any post processing at your end as the media will most likely have production folks or photo

editor to handle that if necessary. Just make sure to add text "©Your Name" in-camera as mentioned above.