<p>I have CS5 and the Adobe Raw version that came with it. I wanted to upgrade to the most recent version of Adobe Raw which I believe is 7.1 (please correct if I'm wrong). My question is do I have to buy CS6 to be able to use the latest Adobe Raw version, or can I still download it and use it with CS5? Also, are there any outstanding updates in the latest version? thanks.</p>

<p>the best upgrade will be Lightroom 4... 149$ to get the program vs 249$ to gte the CS6 upgrade.</p>

<p>Depending of what you do, CS6 dont do anything very new from CS5.. or i should say newer thing that a normal user will use.. Lr 4 its by far the best upgrade to do.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answers. It seems that every other upgrade of Photoshop is minor. I recall that CS4 was nothing great, but CS5 was and I purchased it. From Patrick's response I guess CS6 is back to being minor. I'll check to see if I have 6.7. If not, I'll download. I may even look into Lightroom 4 although I've never used Lightroom in the past.</p>

<p>I m not at all sure that the upgrade from 5.5 to 6 on PS is "minor" or not. I'll wait to see when I get around to checking the new features more completely. Some of the previews seemed to show some cool features, not exclusively limited to video, as some previous upgrades have seemed to be.</p>

<p>But the latest CS5 version of ACR is 6.7, as said.</p>

<p>I have every version of Photoshop from CS2 to CS6 and wouldn't call, or term any of the versions "minor" -- not by a long shot. (CS 5.5 doesn't count - I ignore that super minor release as if it never existed)</p>

<p>However, from CS2 onwards they are all very usable for "normal" photo editing jobs. ACR from CS2 was a sucky version -- but from CS3 onwards it was enhanced a lot; it also made a big jump in improvements in CS5.</p>

<p>CS6 came out exactly two years after CS5. It's not a "minor" upgrade.</p>

<p>for photographer the ACR and the new content aware are whats new.. well the most important features.. ACR being the same as Lr4, you are left with new content aware.. not everybody need that feature. CS6 is not a minor upgrade, but not something that one really need either (other than the support for the newer camera.. ACR)</p>

<p>That say, i have also all the Photoshop version, CS6 included because i need it for my work.. but my personal image rarely see it.. all my darkroom is done via Lr.</p>

<p>I suggest you download the trial version of Lightroom 4 if you are considering purchasing it and check it out. I have always used Photoshop ACR for all my RAW processing and continue to do that with CS6 (I also have CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, and CS5). The price of CS6 upgrade was $199 vs $149 for Lightroom in the US. The RAW converter in CS6 and Lightroom 4 is a major improvement over the previous version and is well worth the upgrade price. You can get equivalent results from RAW conversion in either Photothop (with ACR7) and Lightroom 4. </p>

<p>Lightroom has a database capability that is not available in Photoshop. You should check this out to make sure it's not an issue with you and the trial version will allow you to see if it's an issue. I don't need a database for my images and don't like the limitations required to use it. </p>