Does anyone know if the latest DNG converter is good for ALL raw files, or is

it limited to certain models like adobe's raw converter - ACR with CS2 won't

convert Canon G9 files, etc. I've downloaded the latest DNG converter (which

was zipped with the latest ACR for CS3 which I'm not using), and get very poor

results with converted G9 files. G9 raw files converted with the canon ex

software are acceptable, but I'd prefer to use the DNG workflow and edit in

bridge, but I have a feeling I may be fantasizing. I've looked on adobe site

and their user forums. Thanks, Tom

What do you mean by "poor results"? Do you mean that the embedded JPEG produced by

DNG converter was poor, that the DNG opened with default settings in some app (e.g.,

ACR) was poor, or that you were unable to use controls in ACR or Lightroom (or whatever)

to achieve a good result?

Assuming that you mean the 2nd of these three, when you open a raw in a raw-

processing app, you are getting some default collection of settings. What really matters is

how you end up, not what you start with.

I use DNG Converter with my G9 all the time. I then open the DNG in Lightroom and

process it normally, just as I do my files from my Leica M8 and Nikon D200. I notice no

difference whatsoever. I never pay any attention to my default settings or how the image

looks when I first open it.

Marc, the DNG file produced from my G9, when opened in CS2/Bridge/ACR looks nothing like the thumbnail/file produced by the Canon software. So the answer is "both", the embedded jpeg absolutely sucks, looks like data is missing. No amount of manipulation in ACR/Photoshop has gotten a pic to look like the Canon software, the colors are way off, and havn't been able to get them back in pp. Since I'm not used to this great of a difference in results produced from ACR/DPP/DNG, I will take Ellis' advice and keep checking for adobe updates. Hey, it could be me, too and maybe I need to pull out the G9 manual and read it. Perhaps I will try to post an example when I'm at home. Maybe lightroom is more "current" than CS2. Thanks

WT--

All I know is that my experience is different. There is very little in the manual that's

relevant to raw images, so I doubt that that is it.

Way-off colors may mean that the color balance as set by whatever is your starting point

in ACR is not right for the image. You can test this by shooting an image with something

white in it. ACR has a tool that you just click. Even if the color balance is not right, it

should no longer be way off.

I don't know what Adobe updates might be relevant. DNG Converter does not do

conversion in the sense that word is used in the phrase "raw converter." Rather, it just

means conversion from native raw to DNG. The pixels are still represented in a raw

format. Still no color space, white balance, sharpening, etc.

The above applies to the raw. DNG Converter does use settings to produce the initial full-

size (or whatever you set) raw preview. Maybe you have wacky stuff in sidecars? Maybe

whatever defaults it is using are off? However, no matter how off the embedded JPEG, it

will have no effect on the raw image itself.

(This embedded JPEG is completely different from the embedded thumbnail and the other

embedded JPEGs that are usually in native raw formats.)

Good luck with this... sorry I can't be more definitive.

Marc, one last follow-up. I did some shooting with the G9 over the last couple of days, and ran them through DNG and Canon Raw last night, and there is no difference (only white balance adjustments done)! The only difference is on the dozen or so shots from a week ago - they were sunset pics over a marina - which prompted this post. I'm looking at this as kind of a fluke, may "re-run" the sunset cr2 files through dng this weekend just to play with, but I was glad that the pics since then are "normal" results - none of the shots since the marina sunset were shot into the sun, all avg side or overcast lighting. When I say normal, I only adjust white balance in Canon raw or ACR. Thanks for all the effort, other than this fluke and the crappy grip, I'm very happy with the G9. Tom