Ad/Commercial Photographers

<p>Looking for some advertising/commercial photographers for inspiration.</p>

<dl><dd >

<p >Who are some of your favorites?<br>

Looking for polished, well-edited, advertising/commercial photographers (lifestyle, automotive, etc.).<br>

I am familiar with Joel Grimes, Dave Hill, Erik Almas...looking for any examples/sites that I may have missed.<br>

Images like this:</p>

<a href="http://www.aphotoeditor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cpahorse.jpg" alt="http://www.aphotoeditor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/cpahorse.jpg" width="520" height="325" />Image</a>

<br />

<a href="http://www.productionparadise.com/newsletters/916/photos/52980/original/circlemedia-spotlight-feb2014-03.jpg" alt="http://www.productionparadise.com/newsletters/916/photos/52980/original/circlemedia-spotlight-feb2014-03.jpg" width="520" height="346" />Image</a>

<p>

<b>Mod: Per the photo.net Terms of Use, do not post images you did not take.</b></p>

</dd></dl>

<p>Thanks. Looking for photos that are a little more 'polished' (using that term lightly, most post processing/refinement vs. pure capture).</p>

<p>Erik Almas, Joel Grimes and Dave Hill have all established substantial post processing techniques that, arguably, are most important than the photos straight from the camera. Certainly how they have made a career and names for themselves.<br>

The pre-visualized image/idea is more important than the straight capture - less candid, more 'polished'. </p>

<p>Nice work, btw, thanks for sharing!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Gary- that's absurd. What is dodging and burning in a dark room? It is post processing, no different than Photoshop.</p>

<p>The talent in the artist, it doesn't matter how they achieve the results. Period. Quality work is quality work, I don't care if it is on an iPhone or a Hasselblad, don't care if it is unedited or weeks spent on editing, doesn't matter. Good is good.</p>

<p>I suppose you could argue that if you never, ever processed your film (even a auto-developing machine will have subjective settings, resulting in it not ever being unedited). <br>

Beyond that, when you say something like that it sounds like someone bitter that the world has moved on, that there are more skills and talents that have evolved as technology evolves.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you were familiar with talent like Erik Almas, you would easily agree that he is an extremely talented "photographer", "straight from the camera". He, however, takes it to another level and creates iconic images that he's built a very, very successful business around. <br>

I am not a fan of Dave Hill and Joel Grimes is not to my taste, but I respect their talent and their success as "photographers". It is all subjective and personal taste, nothing is absolute, certainly not what is a "photographer" and what is a "hack". That's just silly.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you can't get it right in the camera you are not a photographer, you are a graphic artist. Some would say hack.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As an aerial photographer I often encounter situations where various things such as haze, sun angle, altitude limitations, and overcast limit the possibility of "getting it right" with the camera alone. Extensive post processing is often essential to realizing the full potential of the image.<br>

The end product of my work is a piece of graphic art, so I am, in fact, a graphic artist who happens to use a camera as my primary tool. But I'd argue that the same is true for all photographers -- certainly those who care more about the image than about how it was produced.<br>

I'd go as far as to say that someone who abdicates his responsibility to refine and polish the raw image until it's the richest, most compelling graphic it can be might deserve the term "hack."</p>