a website is reporting that this is Michio Hoshino last photo before he died

<p>I would tend to disagree with Steven on this, since, even if one were armed, there would not likely have been time to get both the picture and shoot the animal. Although I have never carried a pistol in my life (just done a bit of target shooting with them), not even in some pretty rough wilderness territory, the fact is that only a large-caliber handgun round (not a .22 LR nor even a 9mm parabellum round) or two through that open mouth would likely do instant sufficient damage to the brainstem or the spinal column to drop the bear right where he was. Bears can move incredibly fast, and the stopping power of any handgun might not suffice unless one hit the precise spot--and this animal is only still in the photo. In reality, he was probably already moving into the tent. An angry animal can be mortally wounded and still live long enough to kill one if one does not sever the spinal cord or literally blow its brains out. One would have to have more than a big pistol, however. One would need dead aim and a steadyl hand and cool mind.</p>

<p>I can only assume that the photographer was not armed, knew that he had no way out, and chose to go ahead and make the shot. One wonders if a flash shot might have scared the bear away. This one already is angry, however, and so there really did not appear to be much chance of anything besides a large-caliber round stopping this critter.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I'm guessing it is a hoax. First, the tent is in very good condition unless the angy bear gently stepped into the test. Also, according to the New York Times obits, the Japanese newspaper Mainichi reported ''Hoshino was attacked by the bear in his tent on the bank of a lake at about 4 A.M.,'' the newspaper said. The other team members ''heard Hoshino's screams and came running, but the bear dashed into the woods dragging Hoshino,''</p>

<p>Sunset occurred around 10:09 the previous day and sunrise wasn't until around 6:54 that morning. It is awfully bright for a night-time setting.</p>

<p>Most likely a hoax..</p>

<p> "Desert Eagle .50 caliber revolver"</p>

<p>When you find one, let me know... :o)</p>

<p>Sorry could not help it, the Desert Eagle is a semi auto and is not to shot with one hand. There is a local gun shop in town with an indoor handgun range. One of the employees decides to take a few shots with a 50cal desert eagle that was there on consignment. He took two shots...</p>

<p>The first one went down range as expected. The second round fired off when the recoil of the pistol was so strong it flipped back and the shot him self in the head. I knew the guy from going to that shop and I used that range many times. Many think he was trying to shoot one handed, but witness say he was using both. I am not sure if anyone was really paying enough attention to really say.</p>

<p>Jason</p>

<p>Shooting a fifty caliber handgun with the left hand if you are not a lefty. . . .</p>

<p>The fact is that, even if you could control it, the gun would almost never be ready when you needed it.</p>

<p>Somebody said it above: nice PS work.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>O.K.! The Desert Eagle is a semi-auto and not a revolver. The .50 caliber round that comes out of the barrel is half an inch wide and will stop a BEAR and I am left-handed. The point & shoot camera would be in my right hand. Click! BAM! Got the picture and the bear.</p>

<p>My friends in alaska laugh at people who bring handguns to protect themselves from bears. Yes, that includes your Hollywood Desert Eagle and .357 Dirty Harry magnums. The only weapon most people with any real interest in staying alive in bear country use is a short barreled shotgun like a mossberg 500 loaded with the biggest slugs you can find (Brenneke for example). There is some discussion over using alternating 00 shot and slug shells, and I have heard convincing arguments either way. There are also some very convincing arguments made for short barreled lever action rifles.</p>

<p>The main issue with handguns is that 95% of the people who own them simply do not practice enough to be able to be fast and accurate even at the range, much less under the stress of a bear charge. It's a lot easier to be accurate with a rifle or shotgun than it is with a big handgun.</p>

<p>Me? I carry bear spray and try to act smart in bear country. I have no issues with someone carrying a gun in bear country, but most frequently when I've been in bear country it's been to fish in a national park. And carrying guns in NP's is typically verboten.</p>

At least the bear was polite and unzipped the tent and used the door. A black bear walked through my kitchen tent in the backyard a few years back and the ignorant bugger didn't have the courtesy to use the hole he ripped to get in. When he left he made an second hole on the opposite side of the tent. He did not even try to use the zippers. Just goes to show you , those Russian bears have better manners than our North American bears.

Bear spray and bear noise bangers work best, most times a gun shot wound is only gonna piss em off. A .22 may have the bear dying of sepsis a few days later but that will be long after he has disemboweled you.

Josh has the best advice " act smart " . Two people were mauled by a black bear in my area in Algonquin Park. They had been out fishing and had been walking back to their campsite carry the fish they had caught in their back pockets. If you like your ass and you are in bear country don't smear your ass with fish smell.

<blockquote>

<p>The .50 caliber round that comes out of the barrel is half an inch wide and will stop a BEAR and I am left-handed. The point & shoot camera would be in my right hand. Click! BAM! Got the picture and the bear. --Steven Guynn</p>

</blockquote>

<p>We'll send flowers, Steve.</p>

<p>No one is debating whether or not that round <em>could </em> stop a bear, simply whether (1) one is likely to get the shot off in the first place and (2)whether one is likely to hit the spot that will stop a bear in its tracks.</p>

<p>The best way to deal with bears is to steer clear of them or to scare them off with noise makers that one carries on one's body as one hikes. If one comes into the tent at night, however, there is no real protection. The photographer in question was apparently carried off from his tent in the middle of the night.</p>

<p>(While we are on the subject, do not store food in the tent. Make a bear cache with a bag and rope, and throw the bag over a limb and tie the rope so that the bag is out of reach of bears. In other words, do not tempt the bear beyond his power to resist.)</p>

<p>We are now officially BearPhoto.net, and that is not an allusion to our growing popularity as a nude photo site.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(While we are on the subject, do not store food in the tent. Make a bear cache with a bag and rope, and throw the bag over a limb and tie the rope so that the bag is out of reach of bears. In other words, do not tempt the bear beyond his power to resist.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It should also be noted that <strong>bear spray is not for spraying around the campsite to keep bears from visiting</strong> . There have been a number of attacks on stupid campers using it for this purpose. Apparently it tends to attract bears with the pepper smell when you do that.</p>

<p>Bear spray is like mace, you spray for the bears eyes/nose/mouth.</p>

<p>Hell if you're gonna bring that hardware might as well bring Atomic Annie. That'll stop those pesky bears from stealing your pickanic baskets. What the hell were you doing smelling like food and getting all up in their business anyways? Live by the bear, die by the bear.</p>

" bear spray is not for spraying around the campsite to keep bears from visiting . "

That's what bacon grease is for .. right?

Too funny Josh. Doesn't anybody ever reads the label on cans ? If someone gave me a can and told me it could ward off bears I'm pretty sure I would want to read the instructions.

I had a bear visit my tent while canoe camping. It walked out of the bush five minutes after I got into the tent for the night. When a black bear is sniffing through that thin nylon tent fabric to see if you've got any goodies in there it sounds like a shopvac. The tying your food suspended from a tree plan is a good suggestion. I would add that bears are great climbers and very persistent when they get a good whiff of your food. A rope strung from one tree to another with your pack hung up in between, is a good idea. I would also suggest not to pull up the aluminum canoe you rented underneath the pack because when the bear starts doing hang drop maneuvers to try and grab the bag on the way down, it is going to make one helluva mess of the bottom of the canoe and really anger the guy you rented it from.