A lovely family photography story

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by movingfinger, Mar 9, 2020.

1. This is a nice story on how apparently mundane snapshot family photography, through persistence and consistency, can turn into a profound historical photo essay: Parents Wave Farewell

2. I think it’s a sweet series of snapshots. The point, if any, seems to be its lack of profoundness. I think ‘sentimental’ is a more apt description. It adds up to a personal memento and it’s why such snapshots can matter, often more to the family than to strangers.

3. What a powerful and moving photo-essay. Thanks for sharing this!

Mike

4. I see it as indeed profound.
    You do not have to know these people at all to be moved by the changes and depth of the last photo.

Good insightful photo essay.

tholte, ajkocu and mikemorrell like this.
  5. You never realize how precious and fleeting are those moments, until you're the ones standing in the driveway, waving.

6. This is a long-form photo essay...New Yorker is the perfect place for it.

7. Very impactful. You know what the ending is going to be, but you're drawn to it regardless. The very ordinariness of the photos is what makes this such a compelling narrative. It's every day, for most families, over a couple of generations. Thank you for sharing it.

8. You all might also enjoy Larry Towell's "The World From My Front Porch" really great photography in my opinion and a deeply touching theme, I think.
    The World from My Front Porch • Larry Towell • Magnum Photos

Its basically a documentary series he did of his family at mostly family gatherings over time. Similar in someways to the OP. Check it out.

9. The last photo is the most emotional for me, the curtain drops. No more byes. End of an era. We don’t realize how we much we will miss them, when our loved ones are around.

David_Cavan, Moving On and ajkocu like this.
  10. This series of photographs reminds me why I take photographs. Thanks for posting!

ajkocu likes this.
  11. Exactly the same for me.
    I can think of no pain greater than goodbye.
    I suppose it is proportional to the Love.

12. Photos un-viewable here.

13. Try childbirth :)

mikemorrell, ajkocu and Sanford like this.
  14. We are not talking about physical pain, but emotional pain. Childbirth causes great physical pain that usually (not always) culminates into happiness and hope. Goodbye in this context signifies permanent loss (inevitability and lack of power to stop a loved one from fading into nothingness), and the pain lasts forever.

robert_bowring likes this.
  15. Since a lot of people are estranged from or even disowned by parents (thankfully not the case with me), I wonder if a photo essay of such parents through their deaths would have a very different tone, even though for many losing even a reviled parent can still cause psychic pain.

I don’t see much emotional pain in any of these photos, to be honest, though I think the pain being read in is real if also a little sticky.

16. With a few exceptions, I've only ever visited my local (biennial) photo festival, for which I've been a volunteer for a couple of years. In past exhibitions I've been seriously impressed by photographers who have spent 5-10 years documenting their 'story'.

One of the curators of my local photo festival (who I know personally) has - for 7 years - pursued a 'personal project': Reinout van den Bergh | Eboundja )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  17. I went through it once, but that’s been about 60 years ago and I don’t recall any pain at all.......

18. Next time, pay more attention! :)

Ludmilla likes this.
  19. Birth / physical pain <—> death / mental pain
    Flip sides of the same coin that’s life.