A Little Old Collection

A little collection of odds and ends, some a little rare.

Odds and Ends

1887102198_CollectionPnet.thumb.jpg.d217825a99cf7ab72ec707ba459d9cb9.jpg

My interest in old photographic items seems to be moving into more ancient realms. I came across these bits and pieces as part of an estate sale, along with a few other items I'll mention in a future post. It's certainly unusual to find a stack of roll film of this vintage; the Gevapan 30 expired in January 1960, and storage conditions are unknown, so I doubt that it's capable of producing anything very satisfactory in the way of images, though I'm tempted to try just one roll... It's a film that I may have used in my younger days, 65 ISO as I recall. I used Gevaert film frequently, along with other distant European brands like Adox and Agfa, in preference to the big names like Kodak and Ilford. There does seem to be a market for these old unexposed rolls as collectable items, if Ebay is anything to go by.

There's a big old Bakelite Gnome developing tank that will take 116/616 size film, and a very original Kodak 1a Pocket Autographic camera, (lacking the stylus, of course), with the Anastigmat 127mm f/6.3 lens. This was designed for the 116 size film, which I understand to be virtually the same as the 616 but on on fatter spool. I've read that the 616 film can therefore be used in the 116 cameras, but not vice versa. Can some knowledgeable member enlighten me on this?

Anyway, what's the general opinion? Would it be worthwhile trying a roll of the film, just for the fun of it?

Back in the mid 80's a friend of mine in Auckland received one of these from his grandfather's estate. It was complete with the autographic stylus. After inquiring at a number of photo stores I gave up on searching for 116 film. This was, of course, in the pre-Internet days and info was scarce. It now appears that 116 film was still being produced at that time but whether any was being imported to NZ was a different matter.

Fast forward to the current time. There are plenty of hits on the net regarding using 120 film with spacers for the spools in old folders. A cardboard / plastic mask is usually employed at the film gate to support the narrower film and restrict the area of film being exposed. If I were attempt it I would check and see if the red window on the camera lined up with any of the frame numbers on the backing paper. If necessary, adjust the spool spacers and mask to offset the film to use the red window. I think that current 120 film still has frame number markings for 6 x 9 spacing and this would give a good sized neg.

When I next get back to Auckland I'll see if my mate still has this camera and if he'll lend it to me for an experiment. He'll probably say I'm crazy.

Cheers, Martin

(Who has a few vintage cameras that are nearly ready for a debut on CMC.)

Yes, give it a go. B&W roll film is scarce these days. 70mm is very nearly the same size and you can spool it onto 616 reels. There used to be 70mm in 100' rolls in both B&W and colour on eBay, but I haven't seen any for a while. I have some Kodak Portra on a 70mm bulk roll. If you only have one 616 camera its hard to justify the expense of a 100' roll.

If you do nothing else keep the backing paper. That's probably rarer than 70mm film.

I have a pair of spacers that I printed on the 3d printer.

I think that current 120 film still has frame number markings for 6 x 9 spacing and this would give a good sized neg.

I have a 6x9 folder that I've used most recently with Kodak Tri-X. And yes, it still has number markings for 6x9 cameras with the red windows.

Thanks for the responses; it looks as if I'd better try a roll of the old Gevapan 30, just to satisfy my curiosity, if nothing else.Yes, Martin, the old Gnome tank is set up for 116/616, so using that might be another interesting experiment. Good to see another Kiwi on the forum! Thank you Greg, Mike , Mwmcbroom and John for your contributions.

The holes in the end of 116 and 616 spools are identical, so you can use 616 film in a 116 camera. Best to use a 116 take-up spool, as the film has to wind very snug on a 616 to not overflow and fog.

No idea how well the Gevapan 30 will work. Old Verichrome Pan works if you lower the EI and add developing time. But old Verichrome (orthochromatic) is most uncooperative now, generally almost totally fogged. Old Super-XX tends towards strong mottled fog.

I have about 90 feet of 70mm Tri-X in my film freezer. But it's not made anymore. But the annual Alford ULF run is offering spools of 70mm film. (You just missed the 2017 order period.)

I've got the same camera, though by the looks of it not in a similar good state. It does have a yellow filter on, though. It's from my grandparents, and in the leather case of the camera, there are still the notes from customs, that my grandmother paid the import tax; it seems the camera was shipped directly from Kodak to them (in the Netherlands).

I've got no intention of putting it to use, but some day I'll check if I can find somebody local to restore it properly and then if there is still some old film left on eBay, I might give it a try :-) I am curious to see how it performs!

Thanks, John, the information regarding the spools is useful. I can't see myself getting too involved with these old folders, so I don't think I'll be importing the 70mm stock in the future, but I'll certainly try a roll of the Gevapan. Yes, Wouter, it's mainly curiosity that drives me...