A Lifetime in "Selfies"

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by cyanatic, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Just when you thought you were fed up with all the "selfie" threads...
    In almost every picture #7 tells the story of a Dutch woman whose life is seen from the point of view of a fairground shooting gallery.The chronological series begins in 1936, when a 16-year-old girl from Tilburg in Holland picks up a gun and shoots at the target in a shooting gallery. Every time she hits the target, it triggers the shutter of a camera and a portrait of the girl in firing pose is taken and given as a prize.​
    Great photography? No. But interesting and oddly touching. She did this nearly every year from the age of 16 until she was 88.

2. Sontag is smirking from the grave. :)

3. Dutch people are a bit crazy after all ;-)
    And indeed oddly touching, especially the last one at pretty high age, with still the same serious, driven look in the eyes... thanks for sharing the link!

4. "Every time she hits the target, it triggers the shutter of a camera and a portrait of the girl in firing pose is taken and given as a prize."
    She has proof. The rest of us can only say: "If I had a snapshot every time I hit the target"... :)

This opens up so many possibilities. How about a toilet splash triggered camera over a lifetime?

5. Love it. One of those things that only photography can do.

Nice introduction to the website, as well. I'll be keeping an eye on it.