A hunch on 4k

dan_south

<p>Here's a hunch - I think that the next cameras in the 1D/5D (and maybe 7D) lines will be 4k capable. Whether they'll be able to record 4k internally remains to be seen. I have read that the 1DC has special hardware to support the heavy data bandwidth required to record 4k. That might not feasible for small bodies that are optimized for still photography.</p>

<p>Disclaimer: I don't have any inside information. I'm basing this hunch on (1) the fact that Canon has been very serious about the video market, and (2) that some competitors have included 4k capability in inexpensive cameras already. </p>

<p>Now, all I need is a 4k monitor...</p>

<p>Probably. Camera makers have to bring out new features to sell new cameras and 4K is the next logical step (or at least the next existing technology they can easily add). You may not want it, you may not need it, but you'll just feel left out if you don't have it!</p>

<p>4K TVs (which can be used as monitors) are available for under $350 now. Dell has a 28" 4K monitor for under $500. Of course you'll probably need a faster computer, 4K editing software and bigger hard drives to go with it too.</p>

<p>Lumix have it on their GH4 ($1700) and their FZ1000 for $900, so it's eventually going to show up on both Nikon and Canon prosumer and pro SLRs. The Cinema line of DSLRs already have it of course (1D C and C500), though they are up the the $10,000+ category. Still, Canon clearly have the in-house developed hardware and software to support 4K, should they wish to put it on a future 5D or 1D DSLR (or even the APS-C models).</p>

<p>FWIW, you don't really need a faster computer to plug in a 4k monitor. Just one with the right video connector (usually DisplayPort, and ideally DisplayPort 1.2 or later). If you want to edit video at that res, of course you will need more memory and CPU compared to lower resolutions.</p>

<p>I expect they will also have to switch memory card formats. I would anticipate that they would all support UHS2 or UHS3 SD cards. I don't know how much processing power is required to encode HEVC, but at a bitrate savings of ~60% over MPEG4, it would likely be well worth it - since the MPEG4 @ 4K resolutions (at below 30fps) cap out at ~90MB/s.</p>

<p>As Bob says -- the prices of 4K monitors have come down precipitously in the last year. I've been following them since I bought a 4K-capable computer earlier this year.</p>

<p>So it is not at all improbable that the camera makers will find a marketing edge in this area.</p>

<p>You don't need a faster computer just for a 4K monitor, but you do need one if you want to edit 4K video since it involves handling a lot more data per frame (4x as much). You also need 4x the storage capacity per second of video and to stream the data you need 4x the data rate. Even with the most high efficienvy video coding ( which I think has a about 2x as much compression as current h264) I think you need at least 25 Mbps to stream 4K video. <br>

Once we get 4K video the field is then wide open for 8K video...which has 4x the data of 4K. I think 8K is the current limit for which commercial cameras and monitors exist, though I presume someone somewhere is working on 16K</p>