A Film Developer, "HC110"

The product that you are looking for is HC-110. It comes in a 16 oz bottle that is mixed with water to make 1/2 gallon of stock. It is then diluted from stock to make the working solution. It is readily availble at any well stocked photo store. I use it at a dilution of 1part stock to 7 parts of water (1:7). The stock solution has an excellent shelf life, if kept tightly sealed. I seperate the stock into 2 quart containers for best results. For sheet film, roll film and 35mm Tri-X, I process at 5:30 minutes at 68 degrees, with constant (roller and drum) agitation. You should establish your own times based on your printing style. I am afraid that my ability to give you much technical information on HC-110 as it compares to other film developers is limited. I have used HC-110 for the last 18 years and have had no reason to try any other developers, it has always produced the contrast and tonal range in negatives that I desire. It does have an economic side to it, if used at 1:7 dilution it produces 4 gallons of working solution. The current price at the store that I buy it at is $10.59 for the 16 oz concentrate. A note of caution, be very, very certain that you buy the HC-110 developer concentrate, and not the HC-110 replenisher for comercial applications. They are not the same!!! I always recommend that a film developer be used as a one shot developer. Use it once and dump it. This will ensure consistancy in your development process.

I tried to use Microphen undiluted instead of one-shot for awhile. I had two problems: It becomes oxidized pouring it in and out of tanks so unless you use it over a short period of time (~1 mo.) it loses activity. It also collects debris and pouring through a filter just promotes oxidation.

<p>

HC-110 gives results very similar to D-76.