A Fed 5B and Me.

<p>My only past experience with Rangefinders was with my first 35mm camera, an early Paxette (Exctinction Meter, Zone Focus, etc) and later, for a short period, the Mamiya "Texas Leica". Recently I have been stimulated by more experienced forum members to take a look at the Russians and their lenses. To this end I have acquired a Fed 5B with Industar-61 55mm f2.8 and added the Jupiter-12 35mm f2.8 and Jupiter-11 135mm f4.0. Sorting out these m39 Rangefiner lenses has caused me some confusion, ably put to rest with the help and advice of S.P.<br>

The Fed 5B (V) has been reported on by more experienced members than myself, so I am not going there. The copy I received seems to work well, as long as one strictly follows instructions. Two films were ruined with jammed winder and/or lost speed settings. Like my Pentacon 6, the Fed 5B does not tolerate a rapid film advance wind and I now have this under control. For the rest, not forgetting to "wind before setting", keeps everything performing correctly. The rangefinder works but has a problem with vertical alignment. This is an easy fix but [<strong>HELP</strong>] how does one remove the nameplate on the 5B? It does not appear to remove as described for the Fed 5. Any help appreciated. Of course with these cameras, disaster can be expected at any time. The film advance lever makes an excruciating grinding sound when operated which probably indicates sad days ahead.<br>

On-Line reading suggests that the 55/2.8 and the 35/2.8 are quite respected lenses. I shot the 55mm with roll of Colorplus 200 and the 35mm with PanF+. Here is some of what I have got so far. Despite the intricacies of handling, I am quite pleased and look forward to trying the 135mm.</p>

<p>First three, the Industar-61 55mm f2.8. Colorplus 200, scans on BSH/V700.</p><div>00e2Jo-564130484.jpg.a5c8a3389599305127053c6b062cd931.jpg</div>

Tony Evans

<p>For the Jupiter-12 35mm f2.8 I loaded Panf+ and visited a new (to me) Church site hidden away in a secluded Central Saanich valley. Developed in Rodinal/DDX (1+5+200) 1 hour semi-stand. It was very bright summers day (EV 16) with PanF+ film, and even the stand development was not able to fully tame the contrast.<br>

I had some difficulty with the 35 mm Viewfinder which did not have parallax lines and some cropping was needed to center the images.<br>

First the Church Hall.</p>

<div>00e2K2-564131284.jpg.b2d4a72fac97888d9408ada06616b06c.jpg</div>

Tony Evans

<p>For me a lot of the Feds and Zorkis make those noises. You have to learn to ignore them ( like turning up the radio in a car that makes noises.) Each one has its own personality that you have to get used to on an individual basis. The lenses all seem to be very good lenses until someone rains on your parade by comparing them to Leicas. Canon also has one fantastic 50/1.8 for that camera that Brad can tell you about. Also some lubrication and exercise will eliminate a lot of that noise. </p>

<p>I now have a Canon 50/1.4 in LTM, but haven't tried it yet.</p>

<p>I still have the Canon 50/2.8 that my father took most of my baby pictures with. (Well, from when I was about one year old.)</p>

<p>I have a Zorki 5, but the rangefinder is way off. Someday I will figure out how to calibrate it.</p>

-- glen

<p>Donald,<br>

Yes, but first you must get the nameplate off. The Fed 5 Nameplate slides to the left and lifts with a clip under it. This one does not appear to move on my Fed 5B. Once off, I can adjust the vertical alignment. Can you clarify. Many thanks, Tony.</p>

Tony Evans

<p>Nice work <strong>Tony</strong>! I love the light and shade in the picture of the Church. The colors seem good too even though the Color Plus is not such a good film. The lenses you have are excellent as evidenced by your pictures. In the Fed series the FED1 Fed 2 and Fed 3 were really good, smooth and reliable. They are also handy. Later they got a bit unwieldy. sp.</p>

<p>Okay, I pulled out Fed 5B and see what you mean. I just want to make sure we are on the same page. On the back of my 5B the ring around eyepiece turns and allows vertical adjustment. If this is what you want to adjust than its is a real blessing (just discovered it myself). If not, I have a repair manual in russian that I can refer to. http://www.cameramanuals.org/russian_pdf/fed_5b.pdf</p>

<p><strong>Tony</strong>, regarding the grinding noise/vibration: open the back and you will find some gears just below the film advance lever. You can dab some Front End bearing Grease [AP 3] on the gears and work them a little. It helps in reducing the noise/ grinding vibration. Sometimes their assembling is not in good alignment; and that causes this kind of grinding noise. Best. sp.</p>

<p>Donald,<br>

The eyepiece rotates to change diopter focus which is great for my old peepers but it does not change vertical alignment. This is not a killer because I can still focus laterally with the two images above each other, but would be nice to fix.</p>

Tony Evans

<p>Nice work with the Fed, <strong>Tony</strong>, the church and churchyard images in particular are delightful. My 5b has the same rangefinder vertical alignment problem, but it's bright and clear and quite useable. I must have struck it lucky as my copy is delightfully smooth in all it's functions, with a very soft shutter sound. Great tones from that Rodinal/DDX/Pan F combination. Many thanks for the post!</p>