A European beauty & 40-year-old film

Folks,

I have been inspired by Gene, Dean, and all the folks here on this

forum and decided to try my hand at using and developing old B&W

film. I put a little twist on the idea by using my oldest Minox,

circa 1956 Minox III-S, and some long-expired Agfa Isopan ISS film.

Here's the results: http://www.wilkes.net/~saabman84/Argus/Minox1.htm

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Micah in NC

To everyone who posted:

I am amazed by the feedback here. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. These cameras are not only nice to look at, they're easy to use, weigh nearly nothing, and are great conversation starters, to boot!

Like someone said of another pastime: it takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master. (And I'm NOT a Minox master by any means.) It's challenging to extract 5x7" or larger prints from a negative the size of one's pinky fingernail!!!

Rob: you're right. I think the pooch was dazzled by all the strobe-firing that night, poor guy.

Jeff: I'm sad to hear that you have decided to let go of your Minox equipment. I know what you mean about really wanting to make Minox photos. I have about 8 cartridges of exposed, undeveloped Minox film lying about the house, most of them exposed BEFORE this roll! I was more curious about how this old film would fare than I was about the new film I had shot (Ilford Delta 100 and Kodak Plus-X, mainly), so my other rolls didn't get processed in the order they were exposed.

--Micah in NC

Patrick,

The speed rating on the film wrapping paper was ASA 80, but the cartridges were stamped 21ᄚ DIN, which is ISO 100 in modern day, so you're in the right neighborhood. I tried to shoot most frames at ASA 80 with the still-working Minox light meter (not shown) which came with my III-S camera.

I find I get some grain--not unacceptable amounts--when using ASA 100 or 125 films in the Minox cameras. There's more grain visible with film like Kodak Plus-X than with Delta 100 due to T-grain technology and all that, but some shots benefit from the Plus-X look (think Tri-X look if thought of in 35mm terms). But with busy subjects such as the Snowy Woods picture, the Isopan ISS grain is hardly visible unless you hunt for it.

--Micah in NC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Folks,

Wow! I forgot all about posting at Photo.net and wish I hadn't. My job promotion last year left me with less free time for the 'Net.

Andrew: Thanks for the compliments. And you really should look into a pre-70s camera. C'mon, just try it once. What could it hurt? ;-)

David: You are welcome! I need to develop the many Minox cartridges I have sitting on my dresser at home. (We're talking about a dozen, at least! Shame on me.) And thank you for the feedback here and at the Minox and Submini-L Yahoo groups, too.