A Christmas Koroll

<p>One of my sons searched high and low to find what we believe to be an example of the original Koroll, and presented it to me for Christmas. Being the sucker that I am for anything with a whiff of Art Deco, how could I not be delighted with this extraordinary piece of photographic history? Cast from aluminium alloy and trimmed in black leatherette, it's a joy to behold. I'll run a film through the camera soon, and post the results on CMC forum, but I'm hoping someone can provide some confirmation regarding the actual model.<br /> <br /> The Korolls ran through a bewildering progression of models and formats, originally in 6cm x 6cm or 6cm x 4.5cm on 120 roll film, and ended up a decade later with 35mm models. The very early Korolls, like this example, were 6x6 format but would produce 6x4.5 images with the fitting of an internal frame; two windows were provided on the back for viewing the different numbers on the backing of the rollfilm. This example has two features that suggest that it is an original Koroll;<br /> <br /> a) It has a simple accessory shoe which is actually cast into the top plate and lined by an extension to the viewfinder assembly, where later models had either a screw-mounted steel plate in the base of the recess or<em> no</em> accessory shoe. The top plate is actually a scaled-up version of that of the little Bencini Comet S models.<br /> <br /> b) The leatherette on the front curves around beneath the lens. Later models, including the very similar "S", had the leatherette finishing in a straight line a little distance from the lens assembly with the "CMF" letters stamped into the exposed metal.<br /> <br /> I've managed to find only one illustration that matches this example, and that was on an auction site with no relevant information. Hopefully, some erudite member might be able to provide some assistance in pinning down it's heritage.</p>

<p>What a gem!</p>

<p>Here is what Kadlubeks Kamera-katalog has for it</p>

<p>BEC0070 Koroll Rollfilm 6x6 1951 Achromatic 8/85 Einfach-V. Sucher-Kam im Alu-Gehäuse, Tubus- Objektiv<br>

and for its daughter</p>

<p>BEC0110 Koroll S Rollfilm 6x6 I 4x4 1953 Achromat, mit Entf.-Einst. Sector B, /50 wie vor, 2 Formate, 120er Film</p>

<p>Here are the Katalog illustrations:</p><div>00d2Pc-553667184.jpg.5c16f7afab402a333eb855c01ce321df.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks, <strong>JDM</strong>,and a Happy New Year to you! The Kadlubeks illustration of the Koroll shows the leatherette finishing in the same pattern as the "S". This is not merely cosmetic, as the casting is changed to dictate the pattern of the leatherette, the metal standing slightly proud where the covering meets the metal. The black ring bearing the distance scale around the front of the lens on my copy differs from both of the Kadlubeks cameras. I think that, until proved otherwise, I'll assume that this example is one of the first Korolls. I have a nice Comet S and together they make a very attractive pair, but more of that, later.</p>

<p>Since this collecting area may be even more esoteric than my beloved DDR SLRs, I think you're probably free to assume that yours is the real "first". <br /> <br /> All the more, since the leatherette pattern is like the Comet cameras, some of which in this pattern go back to 1950.<br>

In any case, Kadlubeks is a great source for which we can be thankful, but there are too many little details for any such effort to be "authoritative".<br>

By the bye, you apparently got great sons! :)</p><div>00d2QO-553669584.jpg.f1e6ecfff2cacb44b29eba93583ac108.jpg</div>

<p>You're right, <strong>JDM</strong>, there's obviously a lot of undocumented minor variations in the Bencini cameras. The Comet S in my possession is different again from the ones above; I hunted around until I found one with the decorative fluting/finger grip, similar to that on the Koroll. Here's a pic; the poor thing desperately needs cleaning, metal cameras being prone to mild oxidization, rather like silverware. As for the sons; I suspect they don't come much better...</p><div>00d2Qp-553670084.jpg.a985d5e6078940088e40281452daa1e1.jpg</div>

<p>Wow! Most impressed with your son ...he seems really plugged in on your interests..... Mine are very nominally aware that I like "old" cameras.</p>

<p>I liked the one comment.. the Italians still do budget ware with a flair. I will now be scouring the net for this .... thanks Rick and JDM .... Happy New Year!</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Paul</strong>, I've always admired the Italian flair with aluminium. As you note, it's pretty much a distinctive Italian speciality. Yes, <strong>Tony</strong>, the style and flair seems to be inherent in the Italian culture, though having owned a succession of quick Fiat cars in my mis-spent youth I can't vouch for the durability of Italian design... There are plenty of Korolls out the, <strong>Chuck</strong>, but I find only the earlier ones attractive. Later models were adapted and "improved" by the addition of various screwed-on plates and bits and pieces that spoiled the initial design.</p>

<p>My first camera in 1957 at the age of 10 y.o. was a Comet, then sold by Boots The Chemist (a pharmacy chain of long standing in the UK) under their house brand. Quite which model it was I don't know, but it had all of the quirky and rather dysfunctional characteristics of a Bencini Koroll/Comet. It was given to me as a hand-me-down, along with a roll of Verichrome Pan which subsequently became my stock film.</p>

<p>Its first, and last, outing was to a motor race - The Gold Cup race at Oulton Park (in Cheshire, England). Many motor racing legends were there including Stirling Moss, Mike Hailwood and John Surtees, but unfortunately, the cars were too far away to distinguish the drivers or livery as they sped round the course. I took a deep dislike to the camera and for years it was used as a doorstop. It cost 3/6d (three shillings and sixpence) to have the film developed and small enprints made. That was about the same price as a meal of plaice, chips and peas in a respectable restaurant in those days.</p>

<p>I do still have the negatives in a 'safe place' (a shoe box in a much neglected drawer) and might one day scan them and see if they are as bad as I have always considered them. I cannot recall what camera I used as a replacement, but I inherited many cameras from my older brother as he progressively upgraded his equipment.</p>

<p>Of course, in the 50s and 60s Italian style and fashions were very popular, but this did not always mean that the products were of good quality. If I ever got hands on another Bencini camera I would be delighted to use it as a doorstop . . . Happy New Year.</p>