A camera travels the world -- an idea

Andrea Ingram's post about Hal gave me this pretty cool idea. Here it is:

What if we got a classic 35mm camera with a roll of Tri-X 36 exposure

(maybe two rolls) and send it to as many people as possible on this

forum? Each person gets either one shot or two shots.

Then at the end, we publish a book. Or at the very least, we create a

Web site.

Anyone game for this? I have a couple of spare cameras. Might be

simple viewfinder, or an SLR or a rangefinder.

Well, you could count me in as well, if this really gets going - this would be the third project of that kind that I would participating in - aside from Hal, and the 'Pass the camera around the world' project just started at www.rangefinderforum.com, where a Canonet is sent to every continent (except Antarctica) - it just started in Holland, will make a loop through central Europe, then off to the British Isles, too Southeast Asia, Australia, South America, North America, and back to Europe. Every participant has to shoot a roll of film and post his best picture (we decided not to send the same roll with the camera, because of possible damage from x-raying of air-mail), engrave his name on the camera, and send it on. We're also thinking about a book to be made from the pics.

Would be nice to get something going like that from here, too, since the list of participants on the Rangefinderforum is already closed.

I could also contribute a camera (maybe a Yashica Minister) for that, but of course Mike is the one who has first choice...

Sounds like fun. So when does this party get started.

We could have each person write a little about each shot. Perhaps the reason for the shot, motivation, or just the "COOL" factor.

Do like Gene M and several other do and create a little vignette about the shot and the camera.

I'm game.

Great idea !

I'm interested. Just as long as it doesn't cost a fortune in Customs duty (into Britain) and mail charges (going out). What we need to know, in advance, is the weight of the camera.

I have plenty of boxes and packing materials, including blow-up air bags.

And I too reckon that it would be a good idea NOT to send a film with it. Shoot our own and post a photo. One picture? Three...? Need to get that clear, too.

Whatever the camera is, it should be intuitive to use, rugged and dirt cheap. Maybe a Japanese rangefinder? I've tried to participate in these things before and every time it seems that there is a break in the chain.

If this group thinks it can hold it together, I'm in. We really should shoot our own films and submit the best two or three shots.

The Argus world Arogosy just finished up this past month or so - it took over 2 years to

complete, and they have started another version with the Argus A model. <br>

http://argusargosy.tripod.com/<br>

and the latest is: http://arguscg.tripod.com/argosy2.html<br>

I participated in the first, but not the second, and there was another interesting event - an

Ansco Panda went around with 1 roll of film - each person got ONE exposure, and had to

pass it on. That was a challange.<br>

These things are fun, so long as everyone follows whatever ground rules are made, and

get the camera quickly to the next person. <p><div>00BKke-22120884.jpg.44c3df1cca526762fd8e00c5f957978b.jpg</div>

I hate being a partyspoiler, but I'm afraid this is going to be rather expensive. At the very least we should take a look at how the QL17 and Argus affairs are handling this. In most European countries, shipping an object the size and weight of a camera (typically under 2kg) will cost 8.50 euro (some $11) without insurance and a hefty 16.60 euro with insurance. Further, for cameras being received from outside the EU you must count on customs being involved. The standard rate is 16.50% VAT calculated on the demonstrated price (invoice, ebay printout etc.) and if this is missing they will simply go ahead and apply the VAT based on their own estimate. Further, on unpredictable occasions they will insist for you to personally retrieve the parcel at their office, and if you refuse they will add extra shipping charges. I know this only too well based on very many ebay purchases from the US. Sorry folks but this need to be considered.

I seem to recall this being done here on photo.net with single-use cameras.

As far as I know, none of the attempts to do this ever were completed because the cameras were never sent on past a few people.

I'd be worried about sending a camera that's possibly worth more than a single-use to people I don't know.

Just my two cents. I hope this actually works because I've always been interested in these projects.

Bonsignore, I'm glad you mentioned this, because I wasn't sure how each country handled it regarding import duties and such. Well, I guess that rules out sending a Leica or Rolleiflex around the globe.

I hate to say this, but possibly we can come up with a bogus eBay invoice showing the value of the camera at US$11 or something in the neighborhood. This might hold true for an inexpensive zone-focus camera (rigid Contina is one that pops into my head or a Vito B).

Well, let me give this some more thought. I have some ideas on how the final product would look on a printed page.

Sorry, seem to have created a flood! Hal is already off to Vienna then to USA, CaNada and Hawaii if all goes well. I have co-ordinated the first few links but then it's up to the person with Hal to sort the next link out. I see the post of the photos from Hal as the ideal time to tout for the next person in the link.

I'm in on this one too if I may :-)