A camera travels the world -- an idea

Mike, you have a great idea, but i think the logistics would be more simple if you select a camera type and film type, and then had people from around the world who have that thyp of camera post their shots all using the same type of gear. It would be more reponsive since you wouldn't have to mail cameras all around the world. Just give a two week window for reponses. And then we could march throught the roster of classic cameras and films. At the end we would have global samples of photos taken with similar cameras and film. Sounds like a very valuable file.

BTW, Mike, I owe you an answer from a previous thread regarding relative weights of Vito III and Prominent. I am trying to locate a small scale to do the weighing, at which time I will post the weights of all my cameras.

It's been tried before hear at PN. About 2 years or so ago? I think there were 3 disposable cameras sent out and they never got close to the end. Seems like they all stalled out maybe a 3rd of the way into each list.

Cool idea but not really realistic in terms of success.

I too will be glad to be a part of it. I plan on going to south africa this fall and would be glad to hand carry it and hand it off to someone. This might work well with the people in countries Like the UK where they have high taxes. If you are going on vacation this summer,pass it off to some in the country you are going to visit. You might meet a person who will give you great ideas as to what to photograph with some local perspective.

Regarding concerns about customs, I suggested in Mike's followup post that a letter be drafted stating that the camera is part of a global artistic project and is not being sold or exchanged for any pecuniary interest. That might smooth things through customs.

I've organized an equivalent project for members of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ManualMinoltaFree/

We send a Minolta XG-1 around the world - body only, and each member uses one of their own lenses. It worked for this group, because we all use the same system. Film is a 36 exposure roll of Sensia 100, but we have only 30 participants to reserve a few frames for emergencies. Participants come from Canada, the UK, Finland, Sweden, the Netherlands, Germany, Singapore, Australia and all over the US (OH, AZ, WI, MN, VA, CA, TX, AK, GA, OK, LA).

The camera has been on the road since November 2003, and now there are only a couple of stops left. I can't wait to get it back and see the photos!

To my knowledge, nobody in our group has had to pay customs duty, because it is a second hand camera, which isn't worth much. Postage costs are managable if each person pays for shipment to the next, and you have a sensible route. The XG-1 traveled in Eastern direction around the world. The mail service lost it a couple of times, but we eventually got it back ;-)

Another member of the same Minolta group is organizing an equivalent project with an old Minolta rangefinder and B&W film. That camera was missing for a while following the Tsunami disaster in South Asia, but unbelievably, it also re-surfaced.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions on how we organized these projects.

Mike - almost forgot to say, don't let the nay-sayers get you down. I heard the same objections as you when I started out with my XG-1 in 2003. Everybody who participated LOVED the project! Some people met for the first time in person to hand over the camera, others have got out fora special trip to take their shot and had great day. For me, it has been lots of fun, and not as much work as one might expect - just got to send out the occasional encouraging email ;-)

I can email you our ground rules and some tips of what I found useful if you are interested, but at any rate - just go ahead and do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a neat idea.

I have an Olympus XA2 with flash that I'd donate to the project. Simple little camera that should hold up just fine and weighs next to nothing. Not much room for people to engrave a name, though the back is just painted metal with no leatherette covering.

--Glenn