$900 for this Rodenstock Helical Focus Mount? You're Crazy Funny

andre_noble5

<p>I am putting together a Silvestri T30 system - a beautiful camera system made in Florence, Italy. <a href="http://www.silvestricamera.it/eng/prodotti_eng/t30_eng/t30_eng.htm">http://www.silvestricamera.it/eng/prodotti_eng/t30_eng/t30_eng.htm</a> that allows for shift and accurate focusing of ultra wide angle lenses.<br /> <br /> This system uses Schneider or Rodenstock large format lenses mounted in their respective manufacturer's helical focus mount, finally attached to a Silvestri proprietary bayonet mount which all attaches to T30 body.<br /> <br /> I hit a major roadblock: Apparent price gouging:<br /> <br /> B&H quoted me a price of 900$ for this 4.4 ounce piece of brass, aluminum, and plastic known as the Rodenstock Helical mount for their LF lenses. (see attached photo).<br /> <br /> Thankfully B&H did sell me the Rodenstock helical mount for the 55 Grandagon for a more reasonable price of $320 - I suspect only because it was already listed on their web site for $320. They did not have it in stock, so they special ordered it for me at this price.<br>

<br /> BUT, the almost identical helical mounts for the 35, 45, 65, etc were NOT listed on B&H web site.<br /> <br /> SO, I inquired with B&H about purchasing them.<br>

<br /> Here's B&H's reply:</p>

<p><em>Hello Andre Noble, my name is Daniel W: </em><br /><br /><em>Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. </em><br /> <em>As per our buyer, we can special order, non cancellable at<strong> $900 each.</strong> </em><br /> <em>Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with. </em><br /><br /><em>Thank you, we appreciate your business. </em><br /><br /><em>Daniel W </em><br /><em>B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio </em><br /><em>The Professional's Source. </em><br /><em>E-Mail Sales Department </em><br /> <br /> <em><em>"Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.</em></em><br /> <br /> <em><em>"</em></em>Yeah, you can assist me - please tell me who's price gouging, B&H, HP marketing??, Rodenstock, Henry W?</p><div>00aYfA-478003584.JPG.b6da60d2404cd82c514bcb66b4fc8f3c.JPG</div>

<p>One reason for the price is towards the bottom of your picture. If it was made in China, it would be a lot cheaper. Most likely a bit rougher as well and the distance scale could be off a bit. A few years ago I bought a complete 4x5 camera, quite similar to your model, Chinese made with a focusing mount, for quite a lot less than your price for just the Rodenstock helical.</p>

<p>Well, you've decided to build a fine Silvestri system. This is a precision instrument like an Arca Swiss, Linhof, Gottschalt, Cambo, Alpa, Plaubel, etc.</p>

<p>If you compare prices for the systems from the above mentioned manufacturers, you'll notice there is hardly any difference.</p>

<p>Precision tools made in Europe can't be traded for cents...</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Ikka, that was funny. Yes that's a plastic Peak loupe at bottom of picture. Don't know if its made in China though. Does the job. But I also use Rodenstock and Pentax loupe :)<br>

<br /> To the upper right is the best vacuum cleaner I ever owned. A $80 Hoover purchased recently from Home Depot. Made in China.</p>