85mm f/1.8G - no stock in UK or Europe! Does this ring true?

purplealien

<p>Hi everyone</p>

<p>After receiving a modest cash long service award at work I decided to order an 85mm f/1.8 G from Calumet UK, despite the website saying it was in stock when it wasn't.</p>

<p>A matter of hours later the news of the US Calumet going into receivership was announced; which as you can imagine made me very anxious. </p>

<p>I have been in touch with the UK company a few times since, and they assure me they are OK. However, two weeks on, I still haven't received the lens. Today's response is below:</p>

<p><em>Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, we have been chasing this with Nikon for an estimated delivery date.</em><br>

<em>Unfortunately this morning I have been informed that there is no stock available within in the UK and Europe.</em><br>

<em>And there will be a wait time of 4-6 weeks for the stock to arrive with Nikon UK LTD.</em></p>

<p>Does this ring true? Other reputable dealers' websites are also saying it's out of stock, so it sounds like there is a supply problem.<br>

Has anyone had a similar experience with this lens recently?<br>

Stories about supply difficulties experienced before the US company went bust are making me even more nervous.......</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>There is a good chance that Calumet's problems are the problem but supply of the lens from Nikon may also be part of it. It is a very popular lens and for good reason, it is superb. When I went to buy mine I was advised by another photographer that had this problem to buy it through Amazon and things worked out well. I might be hesitant in buying equipment from Calumet until things settle down for them, if they do. All of this is a shame. They have been a great company in the past and I am sorry they have hit this bump in the road.</p>

<p>-O</p>

<p>In the US, the 85mm/f1.8 AF-S is part of an on-going rebate in the last two months: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cN8T</p>

<p>For that particular lens, the rebate is US$100 off the original $499, and it is now out of stock in many stores. Before that rebate started in February, this lens used to be very easy to find. However, that rebate is ending in two days, on March 29. So hopefully supply world wide will improve soon.</p>

<p>The only outlets I can find in the UK which are claiming to have stock are unknown (to me) bargain electronics dealers. I don't want to order through one of them, because:</p>

<ol>

<li>They probably don't actually have the lens in stock anyway;</li>

<li>Potential grey market issues</li>

<li>I want to support a legitimate photographic business</li>

</ol>

<p>The fact that Netherlands dealers are also out of stock and there are supply issues in the US is somewhat reassuring. Thanks C.P.M and Shun :-)</p>

<p>Sounds like Nikon have miss-judged the popularity of this lens. I wish they would spend a little less time flooding the market with entry level gear and a little more satisfying their loyal customers........</p>

<p>Thanks Mike.</p>

<p>That one lens in stock on Amazon.co.uk appears to be offered by a US supplier. The postage might partly explain the price. </p>

<p>Looks like it is a genuine Europe wide supply problem. I guess I'll just have to wait :-(</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are two good camera/lens shops where I live in Eastern Europe, and they both have 85/1.8 AF-S in stock. Perhaps there might be some temporary stock issues in the Western part of the Europe - Nikon trying to sell as much available stock as they can before the end of their fiscal year (March) and not spending now money on resupplying, or who else knows why. It would be probably back in stock in a couple of months - just wait a bit, patience is a virtue ;-)</p>