7D used for Feature Film

KenPapai

<p><em>"...Budgeted at only $250,000, the production offered no trailers for the actors to retreat to, and cinematographer John Gulesarian shot the film on a Canon 7D DSLR, a camera any consumer can buy on Amazon for less than $2,000. "</em></p>

<p>Less than $2K assuming you don't need a lens.<br>

The film here in mention is Drake Doremus' <strong><em>"Like Crazy,"</em></strong> this year's Sundance Film Festival Dramatic Grand Jury prizewinner.</p>

<p>FYI. First time I've read about a 7D being the primary camera for a feature film. I can only imagine later next year that several movies will be shot with the 1D-X for 2013 release.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does this mean Panavision and Mitchell and Arriflex will disappear down the rabbit hole and Eastman Kodak with them?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Eventually, yes. Even for movies digital will replace 99% of film use -- when? By 2016? before that?<br /> I remember the first full length feature film, shot stop-action by Tim Burton with about 22 1D Mk II's -- CORPSE BRIDE (2005).<br>

More info:<br>

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpse_Bride">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpse_Bride</a></p>

<p>(also look up the photonet discussion about this back then)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does this mean Panavision and Mitchell and Arriflex will disappear down the rabbit hole and Eastman Kodak with them? Just like downloading music killed the big record companies and ebooks are killing bookstores and libraries? Are we happy about this?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unless you own stock in those companies, I see no reason to be particularly unhappy about it. If companies cease to be competitive in an ever changing market, this is what happens. I wasn't happy about Polaroid going under, but technology and the march of time made their product redundant. It's the job of management to think two steps ahead and keep a company relevant, viable and on the cutting edge.</p>

<p>In this case it opens up new possibilities for artists, and it casts the net a lot wider regarding who can compete in the motion picture industry - that has to be a good thing.</p>