70-200 f/4 IS noise

glenn_cummings1

<p>I just recently purchased a 70-200 f/4 IS and am somewhat concerned with the noise of the IS system. I understand that the "gyro" noise is normal for up to two seconds even after releasing the shutter button according to the manual.</p>

<p>My concern is more of the continuous noise if the shutter button is depressed halfway for an extended length of time. Say I want to focus and recompose...as I hold down the shutter button halfway and recompose for any length of time the noise continues until I release the shutter. It will continue to make the "whirring" noise for as long as I hold the shutter button down halfway.</p>

<p>Please tell me this is normal and I have nothing to worry about. I've researched the web and cannot find any answers relating to extended length of time with the shutter button depressed halfway.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Glenn</p>

<p>The behaviour of your lens is the same as mine, presumably because the IS system compensates for slight camera movement until after the shutter is released (which is a good thing - IS wouldn't be much use if it weren't effective at the time of exposure).</p>

<p>If you're happy with the IQ of your 70-200/4 L IS - and why wouldn't you be, given that it's one of the best zooms ever made? - I wouldn't worry about a little noise that only you can hear.</p>

<p>Wait until you shoot handheld videos with that lens. It whirls 'n twitches for the whole take. Realize it's industrial strength IS. Those silent ones tend to be wimpy 'n furt out...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>It'll be your favorite lens soon, unless you do a lot of video, unless you go to a tripod and turn the IS off for that. I'm constantly amazed with mine. Here's a shot with the EF 2.0X TC-III attached, hand held with IS whirring:</p>

<p><a title="Dragonfly by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Dragonfly src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/9275679847_e592ed12a9_c.jpg" alt="Dragonfly" width="800" height="534" /></a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>When I first saw the title of the post, I was wondering how a lens could cause noise. Then it finally dawned on me that we were talking audio, not imagery. ;)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>JDM, I was thinking that, too, and also (with due apologies to Glenn) that, boy, do we have a newbie!</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>