62 mm filters on the new 70-200 f/4 VR

alan_wilder1

<p>Having 62mm accessory filters like the Nikon circular polarizer and 6T close up lens, I gave each a try on the new 70-200 f/4 VR with a 67-62 stepdown ring. I was pleasantly surprised that either worked without vignetting on my D800 in FX mode wide open and all the way down to f/32 regarless of focal length. Not only that but I also had a 67mm UV filter attached for all tests.</p>

<p>Well, i guess turn off Vignette Control, take 2 identical shots @70mm, one with and one without and <strong><em>critically</em></strong> examine the corners. If there's absolutely no difference carry on.</p>

<p>It's all cones rather than cylinders and 'most' front elements don't reach to the edge of the lens barrel by some margin, some by well over 2cm each side, especially the wide angles (to prevent vignetting!) ie the 18-35mm 3.5/4.5.</p>

<p>Longer lenses have a much narrower cone, so can tolerate <strong><em>minor</em> </strong>filter diameter reductions....I'd guess a 58mm would be in trouble!</p>

<p>_______</p>

<p>Curious, if there's no vignetting, ie corner difference can't be detected on the sensor/image, what kind of optical-path obstruction leading to image degradation can there be? I do have a very vague memory of school experiments with a ripple tank and the waves kinda bend after going past an obstruction and that's the cause of erosion on harbor bottoms around the end of breakwaters.</p>

• 2 weeks later...