40D software - do I need - can I use any of it?

jeff_harper3

<p>I am the happy owner of my first camera. Do I need any of the software that comes with it? </p>

<p>Available on the disc are: </p>

<p>Digital Photo Pro 3.3, Image Browser, EOS utility, PhotoStitch 3.2 and Picture Style Editor 1.2.</p>

<p>I hesitate to install anything without knowing more about it. As a video editor I try to keep my PC clear of all unnecessary software. </p>

<p>I appreciate any advice.</p>

<p>EOS Utility allows you to put your name so that info will be added to the EXIF. Also to add new picture style into the camera.<br>

DPP allows you to make correction in RAW, now you did mention you shoot jpg, but DPP alow you to correct; lens distortion, apply noise reduction, correct light fall off. Which you can do also in JPG as well but DPP makes it super easy. It's not that hard to shoot RAW really.</p>

<p>You don't <strong>need</strong> any of it.</p>

<ul>

<li><strong>Digital Photo Pro 3.3:</strong> is primarily for RAW image processing. If you don't shoot RAW, you don't really need it.</li>

<li><strong>Image Browser:</strong> Do you mean Zoom Browser? This, as the name suggests, is primarily an image viewer. It also allows you to do basic edits to the jpegs, e.g. lighten, darken, remove red-eye etc. Again, if you do not need it if you either have no need for those functions or already have software that you like using that can accomplish these tasks.</li>

<li><strong>EOS utility: </strong>This connects to the camera, and can be used for downloading images, uploading picture styles to the camera, adding your name/details to the camera and doing tethered shooting (remote control of the camera from a computer, via USB). Again, not strictly needed - but can be very useful.</li>

<li><strong>PhotoStitch 3.2</strong>: Software to stitch multiple images into a panorama. Not needed if you never do panos.</li>

<li><strong>Picture Style Editor 1.2.</strong> Allows you to create new picture styles which can be uploaded to the camera. e.g. if "landscape" is still a little bit tame for you can bump of the blue/green saturation even more and create a "Velvia Plus" style which can then be uploaded to the camera and applied to your jpegs. Or you could do something tasteful ;-) Once more, not needed, but if you have a specific "look" that you are trying to get in camera, and don't shoot RAW, then it could be very useful.</li>

</ul>

<p>By the way, most of these programs have now been supeceded with later versions. If you do choose to install any of them, check the Canon website for updates. You'll need to install the CD version first, and then the update from Canon.<br>

I've installed all of them, even if I rarely use some. They have caused me no problems at all on my (old!) machine, which is also used for video editing and gaming.</p>

<p>Other than using the EOS utility to put my name in the EXIF, I dont use the software that came with my camera(s). I use other programs such as Irfanview to view my images, Photoshop to edit them.</p>

<p>The programs that come with the camera are nice to have if you have nothing else, such as the Zoombrowser for example. I have the Canon 10D, 20D and the 40D and so far the only thing I've used the Canon software was to put my name in the EXIF.</p>

<p>You're going to get the most quality out of your photos if you shoot in RAW, not JPG. If you do that, you might be interested in using the DPP to adjust levels and convert to TIFF or JPG. DPP also does corrections for lens distortions and chromatic aberration, based on the EXIF information in the image file and the quantified properties of Canon lenses. You can use other RAW converters too, but nobody knows Canon's RAW files like Canon. DPP does have its user interface deficiencies, but if I were grading it, I'd give it a B- in user friendliness.</p>

<p>I also have a 40D, and though I've downloaded the Canon software, have not had to use it. I also strongly recommend that you shoot in RAW - it's not difficult to download, and it gives much more scope for manipulation. I use Adobe Lightroom, but there are several programs which are also very good, no doubt.</p>

<p>My 2 cents: I've never used Canon's software for anything during the 6 years I've been shooting their DSLRs fulltime. Canon makes excellent cameras, lenses, and accessories--but I leave the software to the fulltime pros.</p>

<p>Currently PS CS4 is the best (and the best Raw converter for your 40D, once you learn the benefits of Raw) image editor on the market. CS4 lacks for nothing (just a learning curve).</p>

<p>I mostly use CS3 Photoshop myself, but DPP is worthwhile. Reconsider shooting in RAW, as Sarah says. Even if you don't use them now, later on as your skills develop, you will find the additional information in the RAW files to be very useful. There are advantages to using the on-disc utilities when you are loading files in with a card reader (which is the first thing you should buy, anyway).</p>

<p>It's his <em>first</em> camera...let him shoot jpegs and enjoy life for a while. He said he's a video editor, let him figure it out....can we get a week of RAW-free? lol I shoot raw but i've been at it for a while...</p>

<p>Thank you everyone.</p>

<p>It is good to know about the advantages of RAW so I appreciate the information.</p>

<p>I'm happy with jpeg for this period of learning the camera. I went with RAW because so many of the photographers I meet shoot in jpeg it just seemed fine for now.</p>

<p>PS was mentioned, and I must confess I have had Photoshop CS2, now CS3, and I've used it once. I dislike Photoshop for the simple reason I don't know it, and have been too lazy to learn it. At some point I'll either need to learn it, or get Lightroom, though I have no idea what LR does, though my understanding is it is a workflow tool as much as anything.</p>

<p>Of course, truth be told I've not needed PS up to know. I have the Adobe Master Collection, and for my image needs I've just always used Fireworks. I do my own website maintenance, and it's perfect. I also use it for cropping and resizing. I use Irfanview for batch resizing, which I love.</p>

<p>As far as shooting RAW in the future, I can't imagine how long it will be before my images will be worth shooting in RAW. The practice shots I've done in the last two days were mostly so bad they ended up in the trash anyway, and that was shooting in Auto!</p>

<p>I must say, however a few turned out so well that I was stunned. The technology behind these cameras is amazing.</p>

<p>I am absolutley thrilled shooting stills. I have become obsessed. I shot 500 images in 30 minutes yesterday around the house, and now the cats are terrified when they see me coming with the camera.</p>

<p>I am actually beginning to dislike video, even though I have two brand spanking new professional HD cameras that have nice images. I dislike the poor images that I must accept with video so much of the time. Then there is the audio, which is a whole 'nuther story.</p>

<p>Anyway, I'm psyched, and am starting classes Monday to learn the basics. </p>

<p>FYI Image Browser is for Mac, Zoom Browser is for PC, so if I say Zoom Browser it's because I have a PC.</p>

<p>One thing I have to ask, how are you uploading your pics to the computer? Zoom Browser and EOS Utility both have card reader software for transferring images. I set it up so that it loads things into files sorted by year/month/date. Example: yesterdays images will go in folder Pictures, in folder 2009, in folder 03, in folder 26. When ever I need to find the original file (and I know the date it was created) I can easily find it.</p>

<p>DPP is a pretty decent program. There's a tutorial (and it uses a Mac for the examples, not that that really matters). http://www.usa.canon.com/content/dpp2/index.html</p>

<p>I used to use Zoombrowser for just about everything, but not so much any more. I haven't really used much of the rest of the programs other than opening them to see what they do.</p>

<p>As of now I'm running a cable to the camera. As I'm sure you know, the PC sees the card just like a hard drive and I just copy and paste from the camera to a new folder.</p>

<p>I don't see how it could be any easier, but I'm intriqued by the EOS Utility, what a cool thing to be able to download by date automatically. For a wedding it wouldn't be necessary, I suppose, since the images should appear in order shot, right? At least that is how they appear now when I read the card.</p>

<p>I think I'll install the EOS utility for kicks, it can't hurt anything!</p>

<p>Personally I find the software very usefull. The EOS Utility is a must have for studio shooting and DPP is simply one of the best RAW processing softwares (altough a bit short on the tools and feature side).</p>

<p>I know that Lightroom is almost the standard of workflow softwares, but I do prefer to import with bridge and then use a RAW processing software of my choice (usualy DPP or C1Pro because of color profiles and then export to Photoshop).<br /> The reason for this is that I don't like any of LR2 color profiles (and I also use a 40D).</p>

<p>For your future possibilities (if, or when, you decide to try RAW) my preferred programs are Lightroom for download and initial editing (particularly light adjustment if needed), then final editing in Photoshop Elements. This is a cost-effective alternative to CS4 which has many features which I'll probably never use. Several people I know use only Lightroom which I've not found to be totally satisfactory. Michael Reichmann's website "Luminous Landscape" is very informative in this area - he's also a great speker if you get a chance to hear him.</p>