40-year-old photo publication and staple of the industry, is shutting down.

Nick D.

Nostalgia is warm and comforting. The future is challenging and often more scary. A reverence for icons can give way to excitement about the new and untried, and often that in turn will lead to new icons. It can also lead to turning away from icons which can be healthy, and the continuation of a natural cycle between rest and agitation.

Photography as we knew it is dead. Long live photography! Same is true for a lot of things. That there’s always something new is nothing very new.

"You talkin' to me?"

When I was young and first interested in photography, I had a subscription to Popular Photography,

at least for a few years. Also Popular Electronics.

More recently, I would read Popular Photography in our library, and was just a little sad to

see it disappear.

I now have a subscription to Outdoor Photography, as a gift from my father.

• Like 1

-- glen

I'd never heard of PDN (or RF or WPPI) but from the website, it looks to have been a great magazine and a loss to people who currently subscribe. I have no idea what prompted its 'retirement' but looking at the 'news' and 'about/timeline' sections of the emeraldexpositions website, it somehow doesn't surprise me.

What did surprise me was that Emerald Expositions - a "leading operator of business-to-business trade shows" - acquired PDN some 20 years ago and has published it since then. Presumably to attract visitors to its events. The 'News' section relates that Emerald made a loss of $20M in the 3rd quarter of 2019. I also read (elsewhere) that Emerald's share price dipped 40% in the 12 months months up to september 2019. December saw a 'leadership transition'' and the appointment of a new CFO at Emerald Expositions.

So it doesn't surprise me that some activities and costs are being cut.

Perhaps less to do with photography than the survival of print media generally. Liked PDN but must admit it had a multitude of online competition. Still, magazines can secure and thrive in the right niche. Conde Nast publications like The New Yorker got with it and turned itself into a media platform to meet a far wider audience than the magazine alone apparently ever did.

Nostalgia? Sounds like the cameras I carry around most of the time. Generally an F2 with an MD-2. Manual everything. If I want to go crazy maybe an F4S or an N90. I grew up on that and Tri-X and honestly it’s still my favorite. Digital is very handy but some days....

Rick H.