3rd party lenses + communication with Nikon body

stsadasdsad

Hi there-

I have a Tokina 100mm and a Nikon D7500. When I'm in autofocus mode on both the lens and camera body, I press the shutter button halfway to acquire focus—I get a beep, but the focus point on the camera doesn't go from red to green—it stays red. Is this normal for a 3rd party lens on a Nikon body? The resulting photo seems to be in focus.

Thanks for your help.

Is this normal for a 3rd party lens on a Nikon body? The resulting photo seems to be in focus.

Can be! and good!

However, make sure you have the latest D7500 firmware installed.

3rd party manufacturers have had to reverse engineer Nikon comms protocol and flaws do sometimes pop up.

Equally, it might be that the local Tokina 'shop' can update the lens firmware for you.. for a fee.

Many independent lens manufacturers have semi avoided the return-to-maker issue by giving the lens a USB port of some kind to allow the user to update it themselves. Sigma and Tamron I know of, but there may be others.

• Like 1

Does the focus point ever turn green?

I don't have a D7500, but the focus point(s) on all 3 Nikon DSLRs that I own only light up red. And they don't beep because I've turned that annoying facility off.

That the shutter releases should be sufficient confirmation that focus has been acquired.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

That the shutter releases should be sufficient confirmation that focus has been acquired.

True.

Unless, Shutter Release is set to Button Priority.... not Focus Priority

or you're in MF...:p

The AF point goes from Red to Green on the Z6ii, but not on my D7200. They are red or black. I think (!) it blinks red if it's NOT in focus.

• Like 1

From the D7500 pdf manual:

"The active focus points are highlighted briefly after the camera focuses."

There's no mention of a colour change. So the fact that the focus rectangle(s) lights up at all is an indication of focus being attained.

The AF point goes from Red to Green on the Z6ii...

An easy thing to program on a full-colour EVF or LCD, but needing extra hardware with an optical finder overlay.

• Like 1