35mm RF with Doors

Two23

<p>I've been toying with the idea of getting a small 35mm rangefinder camera from the 1930-1950s. My taste is something simple and uncluttered (No CDS meter). And, I want one where the lens hides behind a door! On my short list is a Weltini--love those sexy curved lines. Also intrigued by Retina II. Perhaps the coolest is the Voigtlander Vitessa. Not sure how well that one holds up in use though. I have a small Zeiss Ikonta 645, but it's really fiddly to use and has the Albada finder. I want to replace it, I think. So, what's out there? Would also consider a tiny 645 RF folding type.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Not exactly small, but the Fujica GS645 folds and has rangefinder focusing. It does, however, have a CDS meter for match needle exposure setting. Leaf shutter up to 1/500 seconds. Lens is a 75 mm f 3.4. The Vitessa is a fine performer that might be a bit less reliable than other cameras from its era, but if handled carefully it should do fine. I still use the Vitessa L that my dad bought new in 1955. Except for the selenium meter being off by a stop, everything works. Use care in opening and closing the doors, as sometimes it may skip a frame.</p>

<p>A Zeiss Contessa from the early 50's might fill the bill--they came with uncoupled selenium cell meters, but most of the meters are dead anyway. It does have a sharp 45 mm f/2.8 Zeiss Opton Tessar and a combined range/view finder that is pretty bright by the standards of the time. It isn't the most unobtrusive of cameras as it has its fair share of chrome accents, but it is built like a tank even though it does fold to a compact package.</p>

<p>The Contessa is a wonderful little 35mm folder. But for a quality medium format compact...</p>

<p>From a <strong>Perkeo II</strong> thread in 2006:<br /> "Purchased a nice little example of a Perkeo ll, rare slip-on external RF and leather case.<br /> I have to say that this camera provides quite a punch for such a small package.</p>

<p>Two words of caution here. First, make sure you get the transport system cleaned and re-lubed! The three Perkeo ll units that I had to choose from & subsequently inspect; all had transport issues (One had a stripped gear. The other two sporadic release interlocking). A weak design if forced, but after a service, it will work like a champ.<br /> Next, like with most folding medium format cameras, make sure the front swing door is opened "slowly". If allowed to pop-out, it may inhale the rather loose 120 film into the film gate. You'll then likely experience soft images and blame it on the lens...<br /> Unlike a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 532/16 that I also own, the Perkeo is a true pocket-able medium format."</p>

<p>Retinas II-III of different types are excellent - compact with superb optics. Zeiss Contessa is also lovely.<br>

But in my hands, the Vitessa with an Ultron lens produces results that are just a little more special than the former (I have Retina IIa and IIIc, and Contessa). And those barn doors and plunger mechanism are extra cool!</p>

<p>I was really getting into the Perkeo until I saw it had no RF. Looks like the later (and larger) ones did. That lead me to the Vito! But again, no RF. I've been looking at models on the Certo 6 website. Lots of brands I had forgotten.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Contax T might be the last of the "door" cameras and no doubt is a cool camera, but a bit too modern for me.</p>

<p>What about Voigtlander Vito III vs. Vitessa? Both have Ultron lens and the vintage look I'm after. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I have a Retina IIc: a very nice camera with great results, but (common in cameras of that era), the viewfinder will rapidly scratch the lenses of your glasses, should you have to wear them. The Vitessa is a beauty, but I too have some doubts about its sturdiness.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Agree with others - you can't go wrong with a Retina, preferably a rangefinder model such as a IIc or IIIc/IIC or IIIC (big letter means big viewfinder). Watch out for sticky shutters, a CLA will fix this but obviously at a price. The bomb door Vitessa is a hoot - its engineering is excessive but fortunately high quality and reliable - I have one.</p>

The Retina iia, Vitessa, and Contessa are my

recommendations. The xenon's and Ultron s are top of

their class. The skopar and tessar are excellent as well. I

have these and they are great to use.

I've never owned a weltini or Vito iii. -always wanted one

of those.

Also consider the Agfa Karat iv. It collapses instead

folds. But it has a nice bright viewfinder, excellent optics and ergonomics.

<p>Classic 35mm folding cameras. I have used the Zeiss Contina (a.k.a. Ikonta 35), Agfa Solinette, Retina Ia, II and IIIc, Voigtlander Vitos.</p>

<p>All of these are a lot of fun to carry and use. Best are the Retinas; and my favorite is the Retina II, because of its excellent Xenon lens in a very small package. The lenses in the IIIc (I have both the Heligon and Xenon versions) are outstanding, probably best of all these, but the III types are significantly larger.</p>

<p>My second choice would be the Voigtlander Vito types (look for one with Skopar lens, although the triplet Lanthar is very decent too), which are also very well made and a joy to use, IMHO better than the Retinas.</p>

<p>If you can guess distances well enough a RF is not really required. Make sure you have someone to perform a CLA, and check the bellows.</p>

<p>Another strategy would be to get one of each and try them...this is how I came to have so many!</p>

<p><em>Vito ... with Skopar lens ... better than the Retinas.</em><br>

In terms of ability to deliver great image quality at a very low price, the rigid-body Vito B and C are the clear leaders (plenty in great condition for as little as £10). The only downside of Voigtlander is that models with rangefinders are comparatively rare, the rangefinders have a very short base and they don't seem very robust - even a small impact which leaves no signs whatsoever of damage seems to be enough to knock a Voigtlander rangefinder/viewfinder out slightly and make the image blurry. Retina rangefinders are better and there are plenty of models not only with Xenar lenses but also 6-element Xenons.</p>

How long has it been since most Vitessas had their mechanism cleaned and lubricated I wonder? They're a quite unusual

design but I would not call them poor quality. They do have some built in dust traps, though, and this can play havoc with

the wind mechanism which can then fail under the additional stress. I'd encourage you to acquire a Vitessa personally—

the Ultron lens is absolutely worth it. But understand you can't fairly expect a 65-odd year old Voigtländer to work perfectly

without some attention any more than you can with other more expensive rangefinders (although the Vitessa is most

unlikely to need a replacement shutter). :) Find yourself a tidy, well cared for specimen and then, if you're not up to working on it yourself, get Ed Troszka, or one of the few other repairers who truly appreciate the virtues, as well as the quirks, of

this most idiosyncratic of 35mm rangefinders to attend to it, and you'll have a camera to cherish for the rest of your life. I repaired my own, and it was nowhere near as challenging as many people suggest. I'd sooner do another any day instead of, say, fixing an Exakta for example.

I find myself in unfamiliar territory by agreeing with Gus, but the Perkeo is spectacularly petite for a full 6x6 format camera

and you could do a lot worse than one. A model fitted with a rangefinder (albeit, uncoupled) was also produced, but it is less

common and substantially more expensive than those not so equipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many of us.. I have a few of the models here too. I too find my Zeiss Ikon 645 too old to use well. I think an Albada

finder makes yours fiddly, mine suffers from light leaks. I have both the ZI Contina and the Contessa both with Tessars.

The only difference is the coupled RF in the Contessa. Which I shot today.. what a poor viewfinder too squinty. I do like the

42mm Tessar though. I have 2 Vitos; one B and a CS both Skopars also a Vitomatic IIIb with the Ultron and with RF.No

doors though on these models... All of these suffer from a poor viewfinder. I have the Perkeo I there is a Perkeo IIE with

RF, but hard to find in EU.Although this is MF it's a relatively small package like the Zeiss 645 folder.