3 biggest problems faced by professional photographers

<p>What are the 3 biggest problems faced by professional photographers? Are there any solutions to them? Do they entail any interesting stories to tell? Do photographers of different genres will experience different dificulties? Are there any types of pictures that are easier to take than others? I apologize for asking too many questions. I'm just a newbie so there's still a lot to learn. I'm really eager to hear from you guys- professional photographers out there. If you don't have time to elaborate on the answer, please just use the bullet points for the problems.<br />Thanks in advance.<br />Sheila.</p>

Dear Sheila,

You ask a question that spans a broad number of professional categories. For example: The needs and requirements of

being a professional portrait and wedding photographer are different from those of a professional architectural

photographer which in turn differ from those of someone who photographs people for advertising which differe from those

of someone who photographs products for advertising.

As a general rule I suggest that the problems both aspiring and working professional photographers face are the same as

those any small business owner faces.

1) Not being adequately capitalized. Not beng adequately capitalized is probably the number one reason why businesses

and individuals fail.

2) Believing that hardware (and software), equipment and technique are as important to your success than

personal relationships, advertising, and marketing (in that order).

3) Under-estimating the value of apprenticing and mentorship.

4) Not being able to write and spell well.

5) understanding that it is first and foremost a business, and that that success as a business owner can either create a

trap, or a safe pocket to create your art within.

6) understanding that what you do is art, and that you are an artist. What makes you unique (inside of your clients needs

and limits of client expectations) is what makes your business valuable.

7) Failing to understand that your work a valuable to both your clients and to your future. Register your copyrights.

Understand rights licensing. If you don't understand the legal ramifications of a contract you or your client is signing, hire

an attorney to explain those to you.

7) Mistaking style and technique for developing your own vision.

8) Finding the right balances between egoism and humility, fear and genuine slf-confidence.

9) Having adequate personal and business insurance.

10) create fresh samples regularly.

11) understanding the importance of having peers you can speak honestly with (and they with you) and trust.

12) Delivering, at a minimum, what you promise your customers you will deliver.

I could go on....