2.5"x3.5" color slides

<p>My father died this spring, and when we were going through his stuff we found a large quantity (several hundred) pictures he took which are color slides in a 2.5"x3.5" format. I want to digitize these.<br>

The problem is, when I put them on my scanner, it interprets them as 35mm slides and splits every image into two images. I have not been able to make my scanner see them as one image. <br>

My question is, is there a scanner that will scan these slides, and if so, what is it? Or do I need to use different software with my scanner, which is an Epson perfection 4490?</p>

<p>Are you sure these are 2.5x3.5 inch? Are they framed?<br>

FWIW: I often Scan 6x9 cm (2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inch) negatives and slides (and many different sizes) on Epson 4490 PHOTO without any problems - the scanned area is up to you. I use both Epson Scan and Silverfast</p>

<p>Yes, these really are 2.5x3.5 inch. I measured them. Some of them are framed, some of them are just in the plastic protective sleeve they came from the processer in. I do not know which camera he was using; it was 1953 and many of these images are baby pictures of me. (I was less than a year old, so I really don't remember the pictures being taken....) He also had another camera he used exclusively for black and white, it yielded 4x5 inch negatives.</p>

<p>So, since you have no trouble scanning slides of different sizes using the same sort of scanner I have, then obviously I do not know how to make the correct settings to get what I want to happen. Could you please educate me?</p>

<p>From the User's Guide:</p>

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr valign="top">

<td width="28"> </td>

<td>

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" bgcolor="#e7eaf7">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>

<ul>

<li>

<p>In Full Auto Mode, you can scan only 35 mm color negative film strips or slides. To scan black and white film or slides, or medium format film, use Home or Professional mode</p>

</li>

</ul>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Helpful?</p>

<p>Thank you both so much for your quick response. I have actually successfully scanned the first of the images. It is faded, and I will have to do some digital fixing for that, but it is now successfully digitized. <br>

I wish I had known about this forum several months ago!</p>

<p>I had almost exactly the same problem (except with 4x5-inch film, on a 3200), and the good folks of photo.net quickly solved it for me: <a href="../digital-darkroom-forum/00ZILW">http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00ZILW</a>. Generally speaking, I've found that indeed this is the best place to get most photography questions answered. Welcome aboard.</p>