15mm Canon noisy focus?

missy_kay

<p>I just got the Canon 15mm fisheye and it's like obscenely loud when I try to autofocus. Is this how the camera normally sounds? I do weddings and don't know if I would be able to use this in a church because of how loud it was. It sounded like a robot making pancakes.</p>

<p>You got a problem with a robot making pancakes? It's normal for the 15. Funky, but have a look at the photos you take. I find it kinda cool that you can take such dramatic images from outdated technology. It's not all about the latest equipment. Nobody hears that sound when they look at the pictures later (grin).</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I've heard one and, although audible, it certainly qualifies as pianissimo. Basically whister loud. If yours is really obscenely loud--a forte shout--it's probably defective. Or maybe it just seems loud because your ear is only a few inches from the motor. Basically a fan, wind through the trees or static over a PA will cover it. Personally I find the kwhack of the mirror/shutter to be more alarming.</p>

<p>On the other hand, DOF on a 15mm is so great AF isn't really needed. Set F8 and dial in hyperfocal and bang away with friggen glee. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Puppy,</p>

<p>Mine is as subtle as the climactic volley of cannon fire and ringing chimes that heralds the saving of Moscow in Tchaikovsky's 1812, but with hyperfocal focusing and the body in silent mode you wouldn't wake the most nervous church mouse even when doing close ups :-)</p>

<p>Scott, Missy and other users of the 15mm - do you use the 15mm much?</p>

<p>I understand the lens is a good one in performance terms but wonder whether I would find the fisheye annoying. I am attracted to it for its coverage and good corner performance and good price.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Robin,</p>

<p>On a recent trip about 10-15%. More than I thought but I was trying it out. What I really like about it is not only the extreme distortion you can get with it but<a href="00VOFp"> the correction tools that can give you all kinds of renditions</a> .</p>

<p>If you are thinking about one, then I would say just get it, have a good play and if you don't like it then just sell it. I could have made money on mine selling secondhand on eBay, they seem to depreciate very little.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>