1/7

FranzWeber

I am curious to know why you reacted so negatively to the one person who gave you any critical assessment of your photograph. To me the photo looks like it has been heavily worked. Everything looks too yellow including grass, road and tree trunks. Nothing appears to be in focus either. Many people liked the symmetry of this shot but it seems to make the shot rather static in my mind. You have already gotten a lot of positive feedback on the photo so I am not sure what the beef is. If anything your comments strike me as the only thing inappropriate.

Sorry about my poor english. I don't what "beef" is. I only had a simple question . I'm curious to about " thanks for publicizing another incredibly overrated and critically under-critiqued pic". I don't think that this is critical assessment. This is nothing more than bad style. You tell me what you do not like at that photo and I understand what you mean. What you do is really criticall assessment and I respect your meaning, but not what he is doing.

franz, no one but you posted the link to this photo in the site feedback forum. that is asking not just me but everyone else to critically look at your complaint and the subject photo to which I also offered this brief critique:

"the truncated trunks make my eyes leap into the orange mass and then i want to shift quickly somewhere else for visual relief!"

perhaps harsh, but it certainly wasnt personal, only strictly about the photo

What do you think about answering my question? Is it possible in the PN system we have now, to ask a person (I don't know) why she/he gave a strange rating like 1/7? This is what I wanted to know. Nothing more. In the old system I could see who made it and I could ask. And today?

Why is this so important to you? The ratings are not that important, are they? I also think it's a 4/4 pic. A 1/7 seems absurd but then again so do many other ratings on this site. Perhaps someone gave 1/7 because he or she wanted to "adjust" one of the ratings as strongly as possible by one rating. People seem to do that a lot. I think one shouldn't be shown the ratings before they actually rate itself. But hey, what do I know.

Franz,

I think you ran into two photo.net "buzz" saws by which I mean two things that apparantly drive some photo.net folks into a frenzy. One thing is to complain about ratings. Since the "judges" here are not judges by just other memebers who have the time and inclination to look at these photos, but by and large are unjuried, unqualified, and untrained in judging photos you will get a wide spread of scores and there's not much to do about it. If they leave a useful comment you gain; otherwise you don't lose anything no matter what the grade or comment.

The other thing you may have run into is that you photo looks like it was taken in a park or some other convenient location. I think your judge is grading you down for lack of effort. You need to hike out into the mountains and canoe up the river with a large format camera and a ton of equipment to bring back a view of fall foliage that has never, ever been seen before. Then, maybe you would get a better rating from this judge.

On the other hand, your judge may have simply made a typo.

Stay cool,

Mike S

Beef (slang) a complaint.

Sorry, I forgot that not everyone grew up in Midwest America. Differences in language and inflection are probably part of the problem here. I have found (much to my dismay) that low ratings are especially good for keeping my ego in check, so I guess they are good for something.

Mike,

I didn't complain about ratings and I didn't ask is my photo rated correct with 1/7. I asked, is there a way (like in old times when you saw who rated) to ask someone who gave a strange rating like 1/7 (you can see that for example at my photo www.photo.net....)what the reason is for his rating. Nothing more.

This question is very easy to be answered: it is not possible (I think so) or: it is possible when you do....

I think it is a mistake caused by the computer mouse, (one with a roller). Sometimes, when you just clicked the line you selected, like "4/7 average/fair", after what you use the roller to scroll down without first clicking on the page, you change your selection without knowing it, and the selection goes to one extreme side, either to 1/7 or 7/7, depending on wich direction you turned the roller. If doing it fast, you can easily give wrong rating, sometimes knowing it just after you entered it.