American Built "Korman" Camera (LSM)

Has anyone heard of a "Korman", a Leica III based camera built in New York

in about 1946? I had the pleasure seeing one today and I cannot find a shred

of information about it on the web.

Any background on this camera would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kent

There was a Leica III copy called a "Kardon" in that era.

It was made by Premier Instrument Company either for E. Leitz, New York, or for the US Government as a replacement for Leicas which became unavailable with the war. I believe that the first production cameras became available in 1946.

The camera was patterned after the Leica IIIb and used Leica drawings and specifications requisisioned from Leitz NY by the Defense Department. Some modifications were made internally as well as externally to adapt to Signal Corps requirements and manufacturing practices. It was a successful venture mechanically but failed economically because it was expensive to build and genuine Leicas, coming into the post war market undersold it. <p> The lens is a 47mm Ektar f2.0 that had been used on the Kodak Bantam Special. It is a superb lens but clumsy to focus due to the wheel mechanism and it is heavy due to the solid brass mount.. The early version had the focusing wheel in the 11 o�clock position but on later ones it was moved to 7 o�clock. I have seen some that have had the wheel removed which makes easier focusing, and another that had the lens cell removed and mounted in what appeared to be a Summitar mount.

I have one (Kardon)that I bought from an ex-GI many years ago. They were produced around 1945-1946 and as stated were modelled after the Leica IIIb. The lens is a Kodak Ektar 47/2.0 in Leica screw mount, and does indeed have the famous focussing wheel, which is not a good design. However, the lens itself is solid and very well made. The camera cames with a nice brown leather case. On the back of the camera is a metal placque labeled U.S. Army Signal Corps. and a military contract number. This is the so-called "military Kardon". There is also the "civilian Kardon" which has no military markings.

The camera (which was provided by Premier Instruments, as noted above) and lens combo (whether military or civilian) is rare and is [to my knowledge] the only "genuine" American Leica copy. I have seen Reid cameras (the British Leica copy) offered for sale more often than the Kardon.

The camera is rare and I recommend buying one if you are a collector and have the opportunity. However, make sure that if you buy one it is complete and in reasonable working order. I say that because if, say, you are missing the lens, you will never be able to find one. My unit is complete except that it is missing the front lens cap for the 47 mm Ektar lens. If anyone has one for sale, I will buy it!

They came on the line to take advantage of the shortage of shortage of Leicas after the way. In my opinion they were in the build class with Leica. The lens mount was particularly well done.

Every once in a while I see one of the military, cold weather versions on eBay but I have never kept a record of the price it went for. The military model had larger knobs for operation in cold weather with gloves. I believe that is the reason the focusing wheel was moved to 7 o�clock, in the 11 position it was difficult enough to work without gloves.

Harry

Absolutely correct. Mine (the military one) has a greatly elevated shutter release for ease of operation with a gloved hand. As you say, it is a very well made camera, easily in the same build-class as a comparable Leica offering. The lens is also extremely well constructed. I am not surprised that they were not able to maintain this level of build quality and make a profit once genuine Leicas became available after WWII.