missing pictures 10D

I know this same scenario was posted from an earlier poster but I just

discovered the same problem. We just got our 10D about a month ago

with 1gig of Sandisk Ram. My wife took the camera to the zoo with my

kids only to find that about 7 to 10 pictures where totally black.

Today while shooting in the house on rapid mode. She shot about 7

pictures consecutively to find that about 2 of the pictures where

black. Absolutely nothing there. Any idea what might be going on here?

She is using the 550EZ flash with a 17-40 wideangle lens. However the

same problem happened with a 28-80 lens. Both times she had the flash

mounted

Not being funny, but did she take the lens cap off? Mind you, you wouldn't see anything with it on. The other possibility is that it was taking photo's with the lens cap on, by accidentaly triggering or knocking the shoot button, but auto focus wouldn't work allowing a photo I guess. Seems strange they are totally black, but what does the data in the photo show? That could be the key to an answer!

I'll forget the lens cap response. As far as the flash not charging fast enough, I dont believe thats the problem either. There is absolutely no picture, when viewing the picture after through the camera it is totally blank. If the flash didnt charge at least there would be something although dark. She wasnt shooting in total darkness.

Nope, thats not helpful since she never opened the cf door in the first place. You notice the blank images immediately scanning through them via the camera lcd. We were playing around with it this evening and have noticed it a couple of times on rapid shot.

Great camera though. Extremely happy with after having it for a month now. The new wideangle lens is fast and takes great pictures. I was a bit dissapointed with the cheaper 50mm lens that we got. We had some focusing issues. Since we've been using the wideangle ($700.00 lens) its been a pleasure.

Are the file sizes the same for all those black images, and within the expected range for your shooting mode (raw, jpeg/quality/etc)? If they are in range and all slightly different, it suggests the camera is writing something to disk, which got corrupted somehow. If they are all the same size, which is very unlikely for real images, then something funny is going on.

It could be media error, which you can check using the windows filesystem check (right click on the disk, properties, then tools). Which is no definitive test, but you have to start somewhere.

Can you reproduce the problem with using another card?

I see you wrote about your Mac in another thread, so disregard that windows advice... Apple will have something similar, somewhere.

But you also write your images came out fragmented?!? That really sounds like corrupt media/format to me. Try to format the card in the camera (again, maybe) and do test with another card. If the card reader is to blame, it may have caused filesystem corruptions.

If she was shooting inside the house then the flash may well have not re-charged in time if she shot 7 in a row quickly. Seeing absolutely nothing doesn't mean a lost image. Shooting inside at a small f/stop could yield a completely blank or black image. This has happened to me before in this situation. Check the file size of the blank image. I bet she just got ahead of the flash.

Rick H.

Run a black frame by autolevels in Photoshop (or anything else). If it stays black, I'd question the card. If not, check the exposure.

Coincidentally, pull up the EXIF data and see if anything's amiss compared to the normal pictures.

DI