Slow AF on D30... compared to?

steve_simons

I've heard that the AF on the Canon D30 is comparative to that of the

Canon Rebel G... but that doesn't help much when I've never used that

camera.

I'm currently shooting with an EOS Rebel Ti which was rated

as "Fairly Fast" AF whereas the D30 was rated "Slow" (Photonotes.org).

Can someone tell me, is the slow AF noticeable on this camera? Or,

is there a Canon Digital Camera it can be compared to? (A70, S40 or

something?)

Thanks for anyone who can help, this has been one thing that's been

bugging me about possibly buying this camera.

Single shot af is pretty fast in good light ( outdoors, not too late in the day ), in fact it's supposed to be faster than the Nikon d100 according to Popular Photography. It's main problem is low light af which slows to a crawl or sometimes fails to lock altogether.

The other thing that slows the camera down is the shutter lag even when pre-focussed, the shutter response is just plain sluggish compared to the 10d or 300d.

Steve - what camera are you coming from? I just bought a D30 (coming from an Olympus C2500L digicam), been playing with it all week... it's fabulous. Autofocus seems awfully quick to me (I bought a 28-135 IS and a 50 1.8 to go with it). True, it's not great in low light, but the question is how low.... last night I aimed at a vase of flowers beneath one light bulb and it locked fine. I tried focusing on the cat in a room with a light bulb at the opposite end of the room... no luck, manual focus. Manual focus will take a little getting used to as the viewfinder is not split, and smaller than a film Canon.

I'm loving this camera, the second dial really is useful, you get all the custom functions.... I'm not printing bigger than 8x10 so I don't miss the extra megapixels. Coming from a 2/3" chip, these pixels are gorgeous (you can look at photos online for months, but I didn't realize how good the image was until I took the shots myself :) For the price difference between a used D30 and a Rebel, you could buy a nice Sigma 15-30 or relatively painlessly stretch up to a Canon 17-40L.