john15

The current $100 rebate on the Contax T3 inclines me toward the

purchase of same. However, many reports of a malfunctioning film

advance have made me wary about the camera. I called Kyocera and

spoke with a tech rep today and was told that this problem had been

recognized and addressed, or words to that effect. Can anyone

corroberate this as fact?

John

I got my T3 in September 2001 and have put hundreds of rolls through it without a problem. However, I understand from reports that I have read that the issue was that the take-up sprocket on the T3 had only one 'tooth' which, being plastic, was subject to damage and wear. I have not had the problem but it may be the source of the film advance issues.

I've had a T3 since last Dec. and have put about 15 rolls of b&w through it. The center roller mechanism that bears on the takeup spool has scratched every roll,in an inconsistent pattern, but generally starting at around the 24th frame. Often the scratches are so fine that they are difficult to see, but sometimes-usually toward the end of a 36 exp. roll-they can be a problem. The camera was bought new so is under warrenty; I simply have been reluctant to part with it long enough to send it in for repair because in spite of the scratching problem the little T3 does take remarkable images, and I've had no trouble with it other than this. As for the film advance thing, it apparently has been fixed by adding an additional sprocket to the takeup spool, so that it now has two sprockets, instead of the one that tended to break off.

You get a three year warranty, so if there's a problem it will get fixed. It's a great camera and I wouldn't hold off on buying it for film advance reasons.

My T3 (which is about 3 years old) had the problem you describe, and Contax fixed it under warranty with no subsequent problems. I've found their service dept to be very good and responsive.