MIDZOOM RANGE

auke bonne van der weide

You already have two of the best Nikons, the 50 and the 85, no zoom will be any better or sharper than those. If the reason you want a zoom is for convenience I would probably consider the 24-85 AFGS. If you want the best sharpest zoom I really like my 28-70 AFS. What is the purpose or intended use of the lens? Travel, sports, family candids??

I have read the 24-120 is a dog, please do your research before you pick that one. The 35-70 2.8 is well regarded optically, but I personally feel the range is a little limited. You will find lots of nice things written about the 28-105 Nikon as a general travel and candid lens. What do you want from this lens that your current kit doesn't provide??

If you can afford it, the 28-70/2.8 is one of the sharpest lenses in the Nikon lineup, and the most useful focal length range for general photography from events to landscapes. Distortion is negligible - many primes have worse. It has a useable, not stellar, macro range down to about 1:4 reproduction. If you use this zoom to crop in the viewfinder, taking full advantage of the image area, then any slight advantage primes have in sharpness disappears in practice.

The 35-70/2.8 has about the same optical quality. It doesn't go quite as wide (28 vs 35mm is significant) and the filter ring rotates with focusing, making it hard to use a polarizer effectively. You can get a used one in excellent condition for $400 or less.

The 24-120 is slower, much less sharp and has significant distortion for both the AF and VR versions. It is best suited as a travel lens, where flexibility is the most important attribute. The 28-105 has superior optics and is more portable. The filter ring rotates while zooming the 28-105.

Third-party lenses generally suffer in comparison to Nikkor lenses, either optically or in build quality. If low first cost is your objective, then go for it.