Removing unexposed film

peter_galea

Do it in the dark. Roll film is easy to just reroll. Go into a darkroom, use a changing bag, or if you don't have either, the bathroom with a towel along the door to prevent light will do. Open up the back, unload the spools, and rewind the film onto the spool the film came in. Use a rubber band or tape to keep it from unrolling when in the light. Keep the empty spool in the take up position, and you're ready to go.

The film is taped to the backing paper on the leading end. When you rewind, you tend to build a loop since there film tends to slip. The effect multiplies the more pictures on the roll. It's also hard to maintain enough tension to keep a compact, light-tight roll. If you have not taken frame 1, your chances of success are pretty good.

I replace the rubber band with masking tape after rewinding. A rubber band is easier to use inside a changing bag. If I've taken 3 frames or more, I wind the roll through and chalk it up to expense. It's not worth the aggravation.

In my Rolleiflex days, I could reposition the tape. The Rollei senses the tape/film thickness before starting the counter, and the adjustment is usually less than 1/2".

In my experience, I'm reluctant to use a rewound roll for anything important. Since everything is "important", these rolls tend to sit around until I process them or toss them. You will need to prod yourself to complete the test.

I've never tried this for real, but it should be possible to open the back in complete darkness, swap the spools (with film still on them), close the back and then use the wind lever (or knob) to wind the film to the end (which will be the beginning). This should give you well wound roll and all you need to do is use a tape to keep the end from unspooling. I respool my dead test roll using this procedure but I have the advantage that I do not need to do it in complete darkness.