Nikon will exit film camera production, soon...

ike k

Just read this thread on DPreview.com. Geeezz this digital really

kill film after all!. Any thoughts that Canon will follow? I don't

have any Canon Film body right now but it's really a heartbreak

news for Nikon.

Wrong. DPreview and its typical misleading headlines...

<p>

The only think Nikon is exiting is the compact Point and Shoot camera market.

<p>

<em> Kimura said Nikon had no plans to stop producing film SLRs, but that it may next year start considering pulling out of the film compact camera business due to a sharp plunge in demand.</em>

Nikon press release?? Or someone giving another he said, she said statement?

The Net is a great place to spread rumors, too. That's exactly what I'd expect to see about film bodies on DPreview.

Unless it's on Nikon's website, this is a waste of space here.

Hi Ike, I believe the article makes the distinction that Nikon is considering abandoning the compact film market as opposed to their SLR film market. That's not too surprising - APS has all but been abandoned too. I doubt Nikon will kill their film SLR market any time soon - I certainly hope the don't! Best wishes . . .

Yes, they also mentioned that other manufacturer such as pentax, Konica Minolta, Olympus will start a very affordable DSLR for under $1000, I bet they will sell for $700 something to anticipate DigiRebel and D70. Boy oh boy, still remember the song "Video kill the radio star"? and now "Digital camera kill the film camera star". Offcourse not now but soon... and very soon...

With a few rare upscale exceptions Nikon never really did compete in the compact area anyway. The few times I was ever asked to make suggestions about compact 35's to buy the makers with the best models were Canon, Pentax, Minolta and Olympus. The Olympus Stylus Epic is as good as it gets. Maybe I should get one at $80 while it's still available??

The company that continues to briing out delightful mechanical

throwbacks like the FM3A isn't going to abandon the film market

that easily. I don't even think a more marginal player like Pentax

(another subject of "abandoning the film market" misinformation

recently) will do so until digital SLR sales surpass film SLR

sales worldwide, which won't happen until digital SLRs compete

pricewise with film SLRs.

Last time I went to my local Calumet store in OC, california, I saw their film freezers only two of them filled up and before they were 4 freezers and one of the reps told me that digital really make their film sales suffer so I guess they are surpassing the film at the moment.

>>pulling out of the film compact camera business due to a sharp plunge in demand.<<

exactly - P&S were the cameras for the masses thus, the biggest sellers. Now, they have been replaced by digital P&S and/or DV cameras. Along with that comes the relative decline in film sales.

Of course, Nikon will continue, for some time, to support the more serious SLR market.

I'm a Canon user but the sentiments are similar.

I concur wholeheartedly with Roger Hicks' "A matter of opinion" in the latest edition of Amateur Photographer, where he states (tongue in cheek):

"there is not a great deal that I would miss if all digital cameras exploded tomorrow, preferably without unnecessary loss of life"

They are here, and here to stay, so my attitude is simply "enjoy film while you can". And our film cameras, I strongly suspect, are going to last a great deal longer than we anticipate, even if food for rear end becomes more limited.

"<I>...working with a 22mp Sinar back for my Hassleblad - the end of film is looking closer...</I>"<P>Righto! $25,000 for a back to allow me to replace a roll of film costing what? $2 a roll (If you shoot APX 100 like I do).<P>The Sinar back news is as bleak as the Nikon no longer making any film camera news.<P>The end is near -- I guess me & my buddy Chicken Little will have to take up knitting.

Sheesh, I haven't seen a Nikon point 'n shoot in stores for years. Only Canon, Pentax, Olympus & Minolta. I think Nikon was weak in the point 'n shoot market long before the digital craze hit main street.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I should have said the end of film use 'for me' is going to be sooner than I thought. For sure film is still going to be available for the long term - it's just that i'm not likely to be using it for everyday work. I'm still holding on to a basic Leica M kit for shooting B&W for personal projects - but for commercial jobs I just can't see a reason to use film anymore.

>>in the amatuer market where image quality is rather unimportant digital cameras excel.<<

ALL the PJ & sport photographers I know use digital. The vast majority of commercial studios I have visited use digital backs. Virtually ALL the ads I have seen for assistants are looking for people familiar with Phase One digital backs. More and more fashion photographers are using digital, virtually all catalog work I have seen done of late for companies like JC Penneys etc... is done digitally.

>>for commercial jobs I just can't see a reason to use film

anymore.<<

Yes, it seems like the reasons are diminishing. But there still are

some reasons.

Photojournalists, particularly those publishing books or shooting

for glossy magazines, or conversely, those shooting for small

and poor publications, still shoot a lot of film. Wedding and

portrait photographers, too. Astronauts use film. And passport

photographers. OK, maybe I'm reaching now.