Which replacement for vulcanite would you choose?

s._c.

My IIIC is void of its original covering and I am about to order a

replacement covering for it from cameraleather.com. I am looking at

the black seal grain replacement. Is there another covering I may

consider? Kid grain leather, vulcanite c leatherette, black lizard

or others? Thanks for your experiences.

I had a terrible dream about recovering my M6TTL with chicken leather. Similar to ostridge, but thinner, and with more pluck points. It must have been the hot sauce I was using (Viscous Viper)

One thing about leather - is it holds moisture and humidity, is subject to verdegris <sp?> and can sometimes be corrosive in and of itself on metals. It seems that fungus and leather go together - and cameras left in or around leather cases are more prone to lens fungus.

Having said all that - I like the seal grain, but would probably go for the vinyl.

The Lowepro pouch I have is probably discontinued, I picked it up in B&H's used department for $5 new. It is close to the SlipLock Pouch 10 I think (about the same dimensions). It has a quick buckle in the front, 2 roll holders inside that I don't use. It came with a strap, but there is a belt loop in the back. The pouch is enough to carry the camera with my 50 3.5 uncoated scratched elmar collapsed (can you believe $40 for the lens from B&H?). The pouch is convienent to keep under the coat and I keep a meter in the pocket. When I get rigid lenses, this solution probably won't work.

I bought the vinyl leatherette that looks like vulcanite, from Cameraleather, to keep for the day the vulcanite on my M4's starts to really chip off. I figure the synthetic will store better (given its half life in landfills is probably like a half million years!) whereas leather can shrink. It was also about ten bucks cheaper as I recall, and looks the same.

<i>"I would always stay away from leather. Look at the lumps on a pre-war ContaxI,II or III"</i>

<p>

It's my understanding that the 'Zeiss bumps', as I've heard them called, are a result of the corrosion that appears when brass comes in contact with steel. I think they are most common on old Zeiss cameras. I have several cameras from the same era that are covered in leather and don't suffer from bumps. I think I can say it's not the leather.

The cameras I have are all for using (though I worry using my LN cond. Rollei 35SE). It's my first Leica. I am leaning toward the seal grain leatherette, but I couldn't help looking at alternatives like the real leather (thanks Henry). The black lizard looks great on the website.