beeman458

I'm wanting to pickup a portable lighting system to do on site

product photography. Constant on hot lights, are not a viable choice

as they're too slow for the amount of heat and light produced. I've

spent the last few days corresponding with a NYC fashion photographer

who does wonders with lighting. Pouring over what he wrote, I've

been checking out e-Bay and B&H to get an idea of what's available;

for what price. He likes Speedotron products; Force 10/5 & 202VF's,

on 800ws and 400ws power packs. It seems he does just studio work.

Budget isn't so much of a concern as is quality and flexibility. Now

I can't afford to pick up a Profoto D4 power supply;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=269112&is=REG

so we'll just say that I'm a wide ranging budget minded buyer:)

The restrictions of a Speedotron, Brownline/Blackline system, don't

seem to make the cost savings worth it. It seems because you're

attached to a power pack, you'll need a pair of power packs, one for

each side of the room. One for your mains and one for your fills and

rims. And considering the limiting nature of power packs, you need a

couple of expensive power packs. Realistically, it seems that one

would need a pair of 1200 plus ws power packs for on site, out of a

studio, product work. Anything else and you've limited yourself when

lighting for large projects is needed. Once you throw a second

1200ws power pack into the shopping basket, any cost savings of a

strobe pack kit are lost. Also, it seems you'll have wires

everywhere that take forever to set up which can easily get in the

way of people and the camera lense. Not to mention trying to find

power in a warehouse situation. It seems the Speedotron line is also

very limited in how much control you have over light output (f/stop).

Trying to give you an idea of my thinking process in the above.

After careful evaluation of all the above, I came up with this as a

balance point for a starting kit; monolights. Simple, clean,

powerful, flexible in positioning and light control. The monolights

are compact in nature, easy to setup and somewhat affordable:) And

when you compare overall costs of a strobe pack kit with a second

power pack, what's not to like about a monolight setup? :)

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=95950&is=REG

Couple the above kit with a few extras, such as a snoot, oval

reflector, corresponding stands and it seems you'd have a killer

portable lighting set up for under three grand (US). If I need more

light, in the future, for highlighting behind shelves or what not, I

can add a pair of 300 ws monolights w/stands for about sixteen

hundred (US).

O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=206958&is=REG&si=inc#goto_itemInfo

Is there a less expensive way to go, that will give me as much ws and

flexibility? Do I need to consider spending more? Will the two kits

give me pretty much all I'll need in the field plus a few doo dah

extras?

Could some of you kind folks give me some insight as to the viability

of the above set up as to short comings or long points. Once I start

buying I don't want to throw good money after bad.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far and leave an answer.

I have the Visatec kit you reference. The flashes work fine and they are solidly built units but there is not much power range adjustment available and the kit umbrella and softbox are fairly small. Further, if you're going to be making lots of changes in the lighting it becomes a pain to get at the adjustment knob(s) for each change.

I think your paragraph detailing your objections to packs is a bit hyperbolic. They're not that difficult to work with and have lots of advantages too.

My main consideration was the very antique wiring in this place so I wanted to be able to plug monolights into different lines. That part of the scheme works nicely, no breakers have blown and I don't have wires crossing the shooting area.

If I were going to buy gear now, I'd look seriously at monolights with wireless remote power adjustments.

Will

If I were going to buy gear now, I'd look seriously at monolights with wireless remote power adjustments.

------------------------

Who would you suggest? When one steps up to somebody like Elinchrom the budget goes through the roof:(

Having set lights up in the way distant past, I wasn't too impressed with the effort it took to set up wiring and lights or the restrictions the wires would cause. The sync cord lengths would add pain to your light placement in warehouse situations as opposed to perimeter wiring placement not to mention energy fall off because of resistance in the wiring (a half stop or so). It's been over twenty years since I've worked lights so I'm not familiar with what's out and about in today's world. Still getting over the sticker shock:)

All in all, based upon what you wrote, I get the impression that if you have the circuitry in the walls which can handle fifteen or twenty amps, you'll be fine with a pair of power packs 2400ws/1200ws and corresponding strobes to go with them. But then we're back to the darn sync cords and the problems they add to the situation:)

Ideally, I'd like a 1200ws and a pair of 600ws monoblock heads. Is it that much of a hassle to go up and down a stepladder to make the knob adjustments?

If I do a custom kit, with the heads listed above by Visatec, the kit with case and all the correstponding doo dah will run about five grand (US). This seems like a bit much. Again, not having done this for such a long time, I'm still a bit surprised by the pricing of it all.

Any insight as to the realities of the situation is appreciated.

Thanks!

If you liked them before, check out this site.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/Archive/Archive_US/Images_US/promo_imagesus/HERO%202003%20Purchase%20Application%20(149Kb).pdf

The dates just ended for that list but a new one usually follows quickly. For the $ saved, it's worth it (even if you're not currently a student and you have to take a "refresher course" at your local jr. college). You might also check into your local Adult. Ed., or Regional Occupational Center as many times their photo courses qualify. Good Luck!

BTW, I also have a 316 kit+many other accessories purchased through this program. Really well built units. Zero Complaints.

John.

The dates just ended for that list but a new one usually follows quickly.

--------------------

I caught that. I was thinking I could give them a call and ask for do overs:)

They had a 10% off at B&H which could be coupled with their $225.00 (US) rebate coupon. That would have dropped the price of the kit to about $1,600.00 (US).

Hi Hasselblad, can we do your end of the years special over again and extend them to the fifteenth of January, 2004. That would be very kind of you:)

From research, it seems the Visatec kit hit the middle ground quite nicely. Less and you're taking away from yourself and more, you're just spending money that a hobbiest/amature won't take advantage of.

Thanks for the encouraging input as all this research is causing a headache at this time and point:)

Eric,

It looks like all the major brands are heading towards wireless remotes. Visatec (Bron) , for example has the "Logos" series shown on their site, which appear to be their standard units tarted up with some microchips. I don't see those at B&H tho', so they might not exist in orderable reality. Buff's stuff looks good but I don't know anything about them from personal experience. You can bet on all those remote units being incompatible with other brands tho', at least for a while.

Thomas,

Sticker shock is a serious factor. I'd drool over a D4 if I weren't afraid of real electrical shocks too.

As for stepladders, power, and sync cords, that's really a matter of personal choice, I guess. All I can say is you seem to want a fair number of lights in action at once. That means lots of climbing up and down while tuning your lighting. How are your knee joints and how many assistants can you afford? How fussy about your lighting and results are you? Who are your clients and how fussy are they? What are the time and $ constraints? I.e. a model's meter runs even when sitting around waiting for the next set-up.

IMX, having the patience of your average rabid wolverine, I'm too inclined to not bother going those few extra percentage points of effort that often changes "okay" to "excellent". On the other hand, I don't shoot for income, it's all for fun, so serious efficiency isn't something I would really need even if I were the meticulous sort.

If my wiring would handle it and I had to make a decision today, I think I'd go for a Profoto Acute 1200 with the radio trigger. Using Pocket Wizards on the Visatecs and camera along with a Sekonic meter w/ transmitter is super-slick. I'd hate to give that convenience up.

Will

On the other hand, I don't shoot for income, it's all for fun, so serious efficiency isn't something I would really need even if I were the meticulous sort.

-------------------------

At this time and point, the day job's doing excellent at paying the utility bill. But as I get older (fifty-one), as you pointed out, the back may go after some twenty-five years of beating on it with construction, pest control and what nots. Soooooo, I want to get the experience in with today's lights, before the back goes, not afterwards:) Right now, the knees are still doing fine:) Thirteen and a half more years to retirement and counting:)

The radio transmitters sound like the way to go but a full setup puts to much stress on the discretionary fiscal empire. Still have the Canon 1D replacement sensor body to pickup this year.

Like you, this is all for fun as I don't get alone with bassboats and/or fishing.

Thanks for your answer and insight.

I have a 3 light 1600B VISATEC kit and where I teach we have both Broncolor

Pulso and Speedotron Black line. I have also worked with and evaluated

Profoto.

Something few people have commented on is the durability and safety of the

flash and how often they blow up. I wouldn't use some of the systems like the

White Lighting for love or money.

The VISATEC's take a beating and offer lots of flexibility. Pack strobes like the

Broncolor or Profoto have considerations like the distance you can spread the

lights apart due to the cord lengths etc. With monolights thats not a problem. I

also use mine with a Sekonic 608 meter and pocket wizziards and it is a great

way to go. I am done with sync cords.