39mm Leica to Nikon AI adapter for FM3a?

polizonte

If the 39mm Leica to Nikon F adapter will not fit on your extension tubes because they are AI type tubes like the PK-13 you can use the stone age Nikon E2 or M2 tube as an adapter. Both of these will fit directly on your FM3a or on the PK-11a, 12, 13 and PN-11 tubes.

Hope this helps,

Dave Hartman.

What adapter do you have?

I ask because my 30-year old Novoflex NIKLEI-K worked fine on my old Nikkormat FTN and works fine on my FM2n and FG. So does my much younger NIKLEI. And so does an adapter I was recently given that appears to be a much hacked up (many blind holes drilled in it) genuine Nikon EL-F adapter.

I use the Novoflex adapters to put LTM lenses, also lenses on adapters to LTM, on my cameras and to hang my cameras on the back of a Zenit bellows that happens to be in LTM. I sometimes put LTM tubes between lens and mount adapter. Neither version of the NIKLEI interferes with either body's meter coupling. There's a NIKLEI-P too, I've never seen one.

Cheers,

Dan

Suggestions:

1) Send your adapter into someone like John White for an AI conversion.

2) I do this all the time, it's cheap and easy. Take a Nikon BR-2a reversing ring (a useful gadget, everyone should have one). Take a metal 52mm filter stacking cap, and cut a hole in it that the m39 lens will go through cleanly. Now take an M39 "jam nut", like you use to secure an enlarger lens to a lensboard that doesn't have a threaded hole, and secure your enlarging lens to the cap.

2a) I do this too. If you're skilled enough to use epoxy to get a strong bond (the secret is how you clean the surfaces) without gumming up the threads, glue the m39 jam nut to the front of the stack cap, and now you can just thread it right on.

2b) Beyond my skills. Cut the hole exactly to size and thread it. This probably means lathe work.

3) I also do this. Some enlarger lenses are not symmetric (including the Nikon 50mm f2.8, believe it or not). These lenses need to be reverse mounted for macro use on a bellows. So you take a filter step up ring (40.5-52mm for my Nikon enlarging lens. B+W makes one, and B&H stocks it) and that BR-2A again.

Hope one of these ideas helps.

Have you tried carefully fitting your existing adapter on one of your extension tubes? My 30+ year old one fits.

If yours interferes with the AI coupling pin on your extension tube, you can fix that by filing off the area of the adapter where the AI pin interferes with. Since there isn't going to be any meter coupling involved, there aren't any critical dimensions involved.

Thanks for your help! I called Nikon USA tech support I was told not to mount non-AI accessories on the FM3a - The old LF adapter attaches easily to a Nikon F but will not bayonet into a AI tube, TC201, AI camera body, etc. I might send the adapter to be AI'd. Thanks to your suggestions, I disassembled the adapter and I might simply attach the female Leica half onto a used AI extension tube. The 75mm EL Nikkor (1978 vintage) should perform better mounted reversed for > 1:1(I think it uses 40.5mm filters) but the "obsolete" Rodenstock 75mm APO Rodagon-R, should work better in a normal position. Tom

<em>"Thanks for your help! I called Nikon USA tech

support I was told not to mount non-AI accessories on the FM3a..."

--Tom Blouin<br>

</em><br>

They are just covering their ass or dont know what they are

talking about. Its easiest to simply say dont than

explain what fits, what doesnt and why. Chances are very

good that the person who answered your question has no experience

whatsoever with these devices.<br>

<br>

The 27.5mm M Tube standard with the early 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor

Auto(s) made from about 1963~1968 fits ever Nikon Ive ever

owned from the Nikon F to the Nikon F100 and Nikon F5. The 14mm E2

tube and 27.5mm M2 tubes fit also. These tubes will cost you about

$10.00 depending on condition. I just bought my mother a Nikon N80

and the M2 tube and K1 ring fits perfectly, no meter of course

but the electronic rangefinder still works and manual exposure

mode works. The K1 ring fits my F100 although the manual says it

does not. Nikon manuals are sloppy and inaccurate. The PK-1, PK-2,

PK-3 and PN-1 tubes do NOT fit Nikon cameras with stationary

plastic aperture coupling levers nor do they fit AI extension

tubes. The older tubes, M, M2 and E2 clear by about 1.0~1.5

millimeters which is as good as a kilometer.<br>

<br>

Some cameras like the Nikon F100 and I believe most or all of the

Nikon DSLR do not allow stop-down metering via the DOF preview

button so a tube like the E2 which has no auto aperture coupling

is required. An enlarging lens has no auto aperture function so

any extension tube will due.<br>

<br>

Bjørn Rørslett has modified the K1 ring with electronic

contacts and chip as well as the E2 and M tubes and used them on

various Nikon DSLR(s) like the D1, D1x, D100, D70 and D2H. The

result is matrix metering with full manual aperture and stop down

metering. Bjørn notes that for very high magnification the lack

of a moving aperture reduces vibrations.<br>

<br>

You can also use female aluminum stacking caps with the BR-2A as

recommended by Joseph Wisniewski. I have a 135/5.6 EL-Nikkor and

135/5.6 Nikkor-W view camera lens installed this way. This allows

me to use both of these lenses with my PB-4 Bellows via the BR-2A

ring. You can also use the male cap with the K2 ring which fits

but doesnt always lock in all three positions on cameras

like the F5 and F100.<br>

<br>

Just curious Tom, did you notice my first post?<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Dave - Thank you again! I guess I was just nervous about "forcing" the LF adapter onto a new camera ( and I could sense the tech was covering his tracks) - With your info in mind I went to the "sale & show" sponsored by the Photographic Historical Society of New England. One salesman/dealer laughed at my paranoia and mounted my LF on a Nikon 90s. I sold him the old F body - he was more interested in the LF(maybe as a collector item) He claimed if it were mounted on an autofocus tube, my enlarging lenses would work on digital cameras. (That doesn't sound quite right...) I bought a used PK-13 for $30 from another dealer and the adapter seems to work fine with it on the FM3a although even at full aperture, the viewfinder is darker than the old F. At the show, there were countless F's, Nikkormats & Leicas yet asking at each table for AI extension tubes only turned up the one PK - 'Still need more extension with the 75mm lens (I passed up a BR for reverse mounting 52mm lenses and antique Leica 39mm screw extension tubes for $20.