I've been using an EOS 5 for about three years and am looking to get

a second body. Setting *aside* all the film v. digital considerations

(and boy are there many - I'm a wide-angle lover), could those of you

have used BOTH these bodies chime in regarding the following specific

attributes:

1) Build quality/feel

2) AF using f/2.8 or faster lenses

3) Size/brightness of the viewfinder (I know the EOS 3 is probably

better in this regard, but by how much?)

4) Overall weight of both using the dedicated grips (BG-ED3 and PB-

E2).

Thanks!!!

P.S. I'm going to specifically call out Puppy Face on this one

because I know he's got both bodies (as well as the EOS 5) from

reading the reviews on his site. For those of you who haven't used

his website, it's a tremendous resource on all kinds of EOS

equipment.

1. No difference.

2. Very, very close. The 3 seems to be just a hair faster, but not always.

3. Size: 3 is much bigger, by about 40%. Brightness, virtually identical.

4. Very close. The 10D is a bit heavier when neither camera has the grip. I haven't used either with the grip.

BTW, in order to make the above comparisons, I had to go get the EOS 3 out of my desk drawer where I now keep it. It no longer resides in my camera bag. 'Nuff said.

<BLOCKQUOTE>1) The feel of both is solid but different. The contours of the EOS 3 and PB-E2 fit my hand better.</BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>2) The EOS 3 has better and more flexible AF under all conditions, not that the 10D is bad.</BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>3) The EOS 3 has the biggest and brightest viewfinder I have ever seen on an AF SLR body. The 10D has the smallest viewfinder I have ever seen on a SLR. However, it's not as dim as an EOS IX or Rebel 2000, albeit dimmer than my EOS 3 and A2.</BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>4) Without the grip, both bodies are about the same weight. With the grips the EOS 3 is much heavier and balances big glass better.</BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/" TARGET="_blank">Ma Digs</A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I got a chance last week to peer through a Pentax ist digital (nice camera!). The viewfinder is noticeably larger than the 10D although it has a similar crop factor (1.5). I think Canon could do better... My FM3A has an even larger viewfinder than my EOS 3, so there's more at play than crop factors in viewfinder design.

- Robert Hunter

I have both and have to agree with Puppy Face rather than Alan.

1) Build quality appears similar but the EOS 3 has superior weatherproofing and just feels better in my hands.

2) EOS 3 is a bit faster with fast lenses but not that much.

3) The viewfinder on the EOS 3 is much brighter and covers more of the frame than the 10D does. It is a big difference in practice.

4) Cameras weigh about the same, but the PB-E2 with AA batteries is noticeably heavier than the BG-ED with both batteries in.

I like the 10D a lot for the obvious digital advantages but I love the EOS 3 and sure wish it were digital. In addition to the factors you raised, the metering is much better with much more control. If they were both digital I would always choose the EOS 3 over the 10D.

if you are a wide angle lower, the 10D will disappoint given its 1.6x cropping factor.

wait until PMA next month and see what new DSLR announcements Canon make. the market sort of expects a DSLR version of EOS 3 with a lesser cropping factor, better AF, USB 2.0, 8-9MP or so, perhaps prices at $3-4K.

You can pick up a excel+ condition EOS 3 now for less than $500. It will probably lose %70-90% of its value over the next 3-5 years, but then again, that is less dollars than any 10D, 1Ds etc. will lose...

"the market sort of expects a DSLR version of EOS 3 with a lesser cropping factor, better AF, USB 2.0, 8-9MP or so, perhaps prices at $3-4K."

Yeah, the EOS 1D replacement (the 1D is out of stock and off most dealer websites now).

- Robert Hunter

I have the EOS 3 and EOS 10D. I am still keeping the EOS 3 as it is one of the great camera canon have made , but if I where to choose what to buy now between the two camera I would go for the EOS 10D or EOS 1DS. As Nikon and Canon have stop R&D funding for their 35mm film camera system! Digital is the future and not APS. As for your question here some answer. 1) Eos 3 is better 2) Eos 3 is faster 3) about the same 4) Eos 3 heavier.

I agree that the EOS 3 is a very nice camera; it is LOUD, but nice.

1) The feel of the EOS 3 is so much more natural than the 10D (I'm sure it's the other way around for somebody with small hands). The EOS 3 is water resistant; the 10D isn't.<BR><BR>

2. EOS 3 much much faster AF with f/2.8 or faster lenses if using the center focusing point(s).<BR><BR>

3. EOS 3 viewfinder bigger and brighter; downside, no adjustable diopter, like the 10D.<BR><BR>

4. EOS 3 noticeably heavier than 10D.

For some reason, I had always thought that the 10D was the Elan 7E equivalent in the digital world. I guess I will have to start comparing it to the EOS 3 now !

<p>

Digital: Film Equivalent

<br>

300D: Rebel series

<br>

10D: Elan 7E

<br>

???: EOS 3

<br>

1D/1Ds: EOS 1V/1VHS

<br>

<p>