WEEKLY LIGHTING THEME: Portrait Lighting Basics

brooks short

Brooks,

This is an excellent tutorial. I've heard the terms short lighting and such tossed around here but wasn't sure exactly what it meant. This visual example is helpful and explains the terms well. I hope these weekly lighting themes are around for a long time to come because I'm getting a lot out of them and I'm sure others are as well.

Haven't been around for awhile, but I am back and ready to learn more! I am including some shots I did over the past few months. The top left is him in action, in front of a black velvet background. The top right is one of my favorites in front of a piece of muslin from Wal-Mart dyed with Rit and the bottom one is from vacation (that is a ROOT BEER bottle)...he fell asleep watching T.V. and I couldn't pass up (sorry for the pathetic mommy gloating!).

Hope everyone has been well and I look forward to further postings!

:-) Jenn<div>008eIm-18510384.jpg.958fc1e48220bc405de11b8367993325.jpg</div>

Here's my contribution to this. This is a simple two light setup with a softbox to camera right and a silver reflector to the left. A blue gel over a grid spot on white muslin (learned that from an earlier theme). Hard to get the lighting just right when your subject is fighting with a squirming 7-month old dog.<div>008eh7-18519584.jpg.ce89afb0a325355c0a95c34bc3fba655.jpg</div>

Hello Brooks,

Thanks for the lead. I'm reading through the various themes that I missed and am learning a lot from them as well. These threads are by far the most helpful section of this forum. At least if you are learning studio lighting such as I am. I have learned plenty from many of you in several areas of this forum but this section takes the cake.

The technical features for those pictures: the first one, Canon 300D using a white wall and the built-in flash... the second one, The same Canon 300D with a 135WS monolite with a 24'X 36" softbox rigth on top of the model (my wife) and an silver reflector (I used for that a heat shield that you buy at Pep-boys to put in your car to protect the dash from the heat) she was holding it just below the crop line, ISO 100, speed 1/60th, F10, focal length 55mm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...