attack stories

I don't do much street photography (nor knife fighting for that matter), but it seems like one of the best ways to use a camera for street photography is like using a knife in a fight: the other guy never knew you had a knife until he notices he's bleeding. Something to think about for guys who are too ready to mix it up.

You know, the Canon A80, with a swivel screen, was selling for $268 from ECost last night. You could easily compose and shoot without bringing the camera to your face. They should put a swivel screen on the next digilux, or at least a tilt screen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>kerry kennedy , jun 26, 2004; 12:29 p.m.

>I know Jay to be a Marine. In talking with civilians, I usually say ex-Marine, but once a Marine, always a Marine.

Once an Elvis, always an Elvis!

>Please enlighten us, Jon, with your miitary exploits.

When I was a teen my mother taught English to Marines at Camp Pendleton. So my only 'miitary exploits' was to be reading at college level and being around a bunch of illiterate men who where good at taking orders.

<<I think the word you are looking for is "impotent"--which is why you hang out on PN insulting everyone you can from the safety of your computer.>>

You certainly make an inordinate number of references to other people being impotent, along with an equally inordinate number of references to feces. I only had a couple of postgraduate courses in psychology but no one would argue you are one messed up guy. And speaking of insulting people from the safety of one's computer, how brave you are to insult the US Marine Corps from the safety of yours. Its lucky for you you only crawl out of your hole when you run out of Jergen's.

I was on the Brooklyn bridge in NYC the evening of the fourth of July 2001 waiting for the fireworks (don't go there, you can't see them. I was bringing back a couple of man cans of Fosters for me and my girlfriend to sip (yeah right). When I bumped, evidently too hard, into a fellow fireworks watcher. I did say excuse me, but he said he didn't hear it, so I repeated it. It was crowded, after all. Water under the bridge.

Later, I took my GF Oly' Stylus (because it has a flash) of the crowd on the bridge, and the guy thought it was of him specifically, it wasn't. The camera has a 35mm lens, so he was in it, but not the subject.

He and a friend came over and we started to argue. My GF pulled my arm wanting me to stop...I didn't. I knew I could take them both, no problem. They were Dilbert accountant types (sorry accountants). He grabbed my Hassy SWC saying he wanted the film or he will throw it onto the roadway below. The idiot had no clue; the SWC is not a camera equipped with a flash. Maybe he mistook the finder for a flash. I wrestled the camera back and was tempted to shove it, lens first (Aluminum cap on), into his mouth, but didn't. A few more tugs on my sleeve convinced me to stop and they went away.

I'm not big: 5'-6", 150 pounds, but I have a big temper.

In a large British city (not London, and which shall remain nameless) I overheard a couple of local youths, skulking in a doorway, whisper to each other "get the camera...get the camera..." evidently meaning MY camera.

I wheeled around and positioned myself about 2 feet from their angelic little faces and informed them if they wanted the camera just tell me first who wants to go to the hospital. Without waiting for the answer I turned my back on them and walked away.

I guess that they figured that anybody with b**ls enough to tell them that and then turn their back to the little darlings is somebody they really don't want to screw with. LOL

I am indeed sorry to hear of your experience in Roppongi. What is Tokyo coming to, alas? Two of the happiest years of my life were spent living in Roppongi with my family.

Our daughter was there from ages two to four, and we must have walked through the main strip every day and often, thanks to a wakeful little kid, many many times at night. We did our nightly grocery shopping, likely only yards from where you were attacked. Many of the folk, bouncers et. al, were quite friendly to us, and would recognize my daughter. As with other great cities of the world, indeed, any urban environment, many worlds co-exist in the same small physical space. New York City, where I lived earlier was similar.

And I have fond Leica memories too... With all my cameras but a sole M6 body in storage those two years,and being in the middle of the best pro-lab district in the world, I really got to learn to use my M camera well. No digital back then, and the quick 1 hr turnaround on sparkling E-6s helped me learn.

Let's hope this never happens to you again.

>You certainly make an inordinate number of references to other people being impotent, along with an equally inordinate number of references to feces.

<p>

Hmm, I've made two references about YOU being impotent--don't know if that qualifies as inordinate, although you do seem to be inordinately impotent. I mean, the anger in your posts is visceral. You are one angry man. Then again, if I was fat, had a micro-phallus, my wife hated me, and my kids ignored me--and don't forget the "guys down at the pro shop" making fun behind your back ('let's see if we can sell this moron a 75mm 'lux for a THIRD time!')--I would lash out an everyone on PN too.

<p>

Don't recall anything about feces. Maybe one of the guys on the Canon/Nikon forum discussing all the photos you posted over there?

<p>

>I only had a couple of postgraduate courses in psychology

<p>

Then you will read this <a href="http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html">article</a> about yourself and understand most of the long words in it.

<p>

> how brave you are to insult the US Marine Corps from the safety of yours.

<p>

I didn't insult the USMC. I insulted you and Kennedy--because you are the worst examples of old, angry marines that are unable to vent and sit behind a computer like time bombs--dreaming of the good old days.

<p>

>Its lucky for you you only crawl out of your hole when you run out of Jergen's.

<p>

Well I might use the Jergens once and a while. But that, Jay, is because I have something to use it on. Since everyone has seen your second job as <a href="http://joerogan.net/cgi-bin/newsadmin/newsreader.pl?do=archives&post=325.txt">Jayhole Moonlighting as Extreme Elvis--CLICK THIS LINK</a> , they know that you only need a little dab of vaseline between your forefinger and thumb.

Leica has obviously lost the "war" to be a credible journalists

tool, but at least it still reigns supreme in fuelling the

street-fighting fantasies of middle-aged dentists and bankers.

Maybe we could stage a series of celebrity death matches, first

up Jay versus Jon in the edgy setting of the Roppongi Hills

Grand Hyatt. Whoever wins can take on the victor of the

scheduled heavyweight contest between Luc "Magnum Force"

Delahaye and Jim "VII Lives" Nachtwey, due to take place in

Baghdad's green zone this weekend. Bring it on............

<i><blockquote> Leica has obviously lost the "war" to be a credible journalists tool, but at

least it still reigns supreme in fuelling the street-fighting fantasies of middle-aged

dentists and bankers. </blockquote> </i><p>

ROFLMAO.