Any Opinions On The EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM?

jim_mueller2

I've had one for about four years. I have no experience using it on a DSLR, only on film cameras. I've been pleased with it. It's big, especially with the lens hood attached, but it seems to be pretty sharp wide open and at smaller apertures. It's as well made as any of the plastic barreled EF lenses I own. USM works well--just like on all EF lenses. It's not much for low light/existing light shooting due to the small maximum apertures. I bought it when I was shooting a lot of nature scenics and using a tripod for virtually everything and it is a great lens for this type of photography. The Magic Lantern Guide to Canon Lenses (from 1995) described it as one of the best deals in the Canon line based on price and performance. Like most zooms, it was not recommended for architectural subjects. If I remember correctly, reviews said it had essentially the same optical performance as the 17-35/2.8L that was available at the time.

Hoya!

Nice someone started this thread!

I will consider buying it as soon as I got the money and it is quite rare to find something about it -everyone goes for the nore expensive 16-35L... :-/

A.