I need help finding a good case for a view camera

erikj

I have a Toyo 45C and I need a good case for it. I would love to be able to carry it on

my back or over a shoulder (ouch). Realistically, I will probably just end up with a box.

I have gone to Calumet and the guy who helped me and I decided that I needed to do

a little research so I could come in there with a part number or something. All of the

4x5 sized cases that I looked at were just big boxes with some foam in them, and we

had no idea if my camera would fit in there. I think Toyo makes a case for the camera,

but it is like $200.

Thanks

I you want a tough case that's also waterproof go to pelican.com and one of their cases

with the pick n pluck foam insert. You pluck out the foam to fit your camera and accs.

exactly and it shouldn't cost you $200. Get it in gray. You won't want to put it on your

back though.

Erik, I have one of cheaper Sinars with few lenses and I have bought an old Sinar's case.

Relatively cheap on one auction site. I have done research before that decision - I took my

camera and biggest lens with me and have visited few stores... Didn't help much. Better to

say - helped in the way that I realized that my fine small complete is to precious to me to

be placed in some unknown box. <br>

On the other hand, I have seen lot of custom cases (even some tool cases adopted to take

view camera inside), but I wouldn't like to place my sinar inside... again, I have carried

Sinar in a backpack (that is "ouch":-)) so I might not be the one to give advices... <br>

just my 2 cents. <br>

Case was bought for something like 100 Euros (including shipment). In that time that was

about 120-140 USD. If you wish, I can post small photo of that case (filled with some

stuff).

erik:

i have a toyo rail camera and i use a tenba car case ( i think it is called the car case 45 ).

it is a tank of a padded case. zipper on top, shoulder strap 3 compartments in the case

and a way to hang the camera upside down in the center of the bag. it also comes with a

small padded case to keep lenses &C.

i went to the tenba site but wasn't able to find the car case from where the site's link took

me. i'm not sure if it was because they don't make it anymore, or because the site is

under perpetual construction. :)

good luck!

i have used a "california cooler" collapsable soft case for the past several years. it is very lightweight and just the right size for my 4x5 - i just added a bit more padding. it cost about $40 at a target store. i carry all my peripherals (lenses, meter, film, etc) in a medium sized bag from eddie bauer. i never could stand those horribly heavy awkward hard cases.

You probably won't find the perfect case. Some are waterproof. Some are very tough.

Some are very light. Some can be backpacked. I'm not aware of any cases that offer

all those features. If there is one that does, it won't be inexpensive. I consider $200

to be fairly inexpensive.

The case you'll probably end up with is one made specifically for monorail 4x5's. The

camera hangs upside down by the monorail. Toyo makes a metal one. Tenba and

Lightware make cloth covered plastic ones. There may be other brands available.

Don't expect to carry these over your shoulder or on your back. Check the B&H

website for specs and pics. They're a good place to buy from, too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/

home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=4521

Metal and hard plastic (Pelican) cases offer lots of protection, but also weigh a lot and

can put scratches and dents into things like walls, wood floors and furniture. Not a

problem if you're outside all the time, but a problem in nice homes and offices where

you might shoot.

There are backpacks by Lowepro and others, but you don't really have a backpack

camera. You need a folding flatbed camera or a collapsing/telescoping monorail

camera to fit into a backpack.

I've settled on Lightware cases because they're light, tough and soft. They don't add

as much volume as some cases. I've thought about trying to backpack a Lightware

using a pack frame.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-

item.jhtml?id=0015827515439a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=&podId=0

015827&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen

%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

If anyone out there has tried a pack frame, let me know how well it works.

I doubt you'll find one case, or camera, that does everything you want it to. You may

need more than one type of camera, and a different case for each one.

Good luck!

its acturally easy to make a case.. use 1/2 inch mdo for the two ends.. take 1/4 inch plywood and put it over three sides.. put chamfer (full lenght triangles) on the bottom where the 1/4 inch plywood meets.. staple and glue all joints with elmers waterresistent glue. make a lid with an mdo rim and 1/4 inch top like the old shoeboxes.. run two leather 1 inch straps around it, then glue and staple or rivet it on the heavy (thick areas around the box and put the buckles on one side just below the lid..if leather is thick cut a 45 degree back cut so it will bend. it will be fairly light, the exact size. i hung my rail camera from the rail ends with open top sockets on the ends with two rolls of paper towels to keep it from swinging and moving up.. put square blocks on the ends for handles screwed from the inside.. angel the bottom of the blocks for better gripping.sand all edges smooth and round a bit. put strips of wood down the lenght of the bottom edge for wear.. good luck dave.

I have a Horseman monorail, which came with a case that's much like a largish, flattish suitcase. I like the case well enough, but the camera is a hassle to port around because with all of my goodies on board... it gets pretty heavy.

<P>My solution was to rig a set of backpack straps onto a folding luggage cart. I got one with wheels about 7" diameter. I roll it wherever I can, but of course, that doesn't work on the beach, stairsteps, very narrow trails, or clambering over boulders.

<P>Then I just backpack it.

<P>This has worked way better than I'd even hoped it would. I've been very happy with it. The key here is that my rig is basically a hand truck that can be backpacked. Most rolling backpacks are just that: backpacks that can be rolled -but whereas mine can go anyplace you could use a wheelbarrow, the tires on most of those rolling backpacks are way too small to be of any use except on sidewalks and floors.

<P>I roll mine probably 90% of the time, and it works out really well. If you know even 7" wheels won't cut it on the majority of the terrain you need to traverse, you'll be better off with the ones that are primarily backpacks.

<P>I strap my case on it, but since it's basically a hand truck, anything you could port about on a hand truck can be carried with this rig... though filing cabinets and furniture might not be such a good idea...

My lightweight wood Wisner Expedition folds up without lens to maybe approximately a 10x10x5 inch rectangular box. I had lots of leftover 3/16 inch thick foam core sheets from framing. Cut foamcore sides for a custom size box then taped the seems. Lid was easy. More sturdy or rugged than cardboard and just a light. Loose lenses each mounted on lens boards are a bit more awkward to deal with. I usually carry it inside a daypack with other gear. -David

I prefer the Storm cases over Pelican cases because the latches on the Storm cases have a release making them easier to open. The Storm cases also have layered foam cubes that are easy to pluck out to fit the case for your needs. Other than those differences, the cases are very similiar in construction. Look at http://www.casesforless.com/ for decent prices on both Storm and Pelican cases.

Does case4less.com actually include the foam with the Storm cases? I've been considering an iM2750 for hauling gear and storage. The title says "(Includes multilayered cubed foam)", but the item in the list below says "no foam"; they then sell foam for $68. Curiously, the price of the case plus foam pretty much adds up to retail -- have they simply removed the foam from the case and are making you pay for it separately?

Erik,

See if it'll fit into an igloo cooler. If it will, pad the inside for a snug fit. Add some lame decals to the exterior. Tie the cooler(empty) to the bumper of your car and drive a couple of miles dragging it behind. Put a couple of wraps of duct tape(the silver colored kind) on it, add your camera and you'll have a camera case no one would ever dream of actually being a camera case. Very useful where the risk of theft is a problem.