Chicago to Smokies in Early June

paul_wasserman

We'll be driving from Chicago to the Smoky Mountains in Early June.

I'm looking for recommendations on possible sites along the way, and

good places to stay in the Smokies.

My primary interests are birds & other wildlife, wildflowers, and

scenics. I've looked at the other posts on Photo.net & have some

idea where we want to visit in the Smokies, understanding that we're

not going to be there at the best time for wildflowers unless we're

lucky. I'd be interested in other sites that might be worthwhile on

our way to & from, or in the area.

As far as where to stay is concerned, I'm trying for a mix of natural

setting, easy access to photo locations, and amenities for my non-

photographer spouse.

Some of the cabins in the ski areas outside of Gatlinburg sounded

like they might fit the bill. Recommendations on these and other

possibilities, especially if they would be in less traveled areas,

would be welcome.

Paul Wasserman

You will probably want to do the Cades Cove Loop road at sunrise at least one day for the deer. You need to leave Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge at least 1 hour before Sunrise to get there when the gate opens. Note that the loop road is closed to auto traffic on Wednesday and I think on Saturday.

If you're going to be out photographing without your wife, you might want to consider a motel, condo, or cabin thats in town or on the trolly line. Just give her a credit card and she can shop till she drops while you're shooting pictures.

<P>Last year, we stayed in cabins (condos, really) outside Sevierville. Our company was called <A HREF="http://hiddenmountain.com/">Hidden Mountain Resorts</A>; they were reasonably good. The location was good because we could drive in a back entrance at Wear Valley, and avoid driving through G'burg. If however you want more amenities close to hand, either G'burg or Pigeon Forge would probably serve you better.</P>

<P>My best results last year were waterfall pictures; I'd recommend checking out a few of those. Many are quite easily accessible; Laurel Falls is a paved trail and quite spectacular. Sunrise from Clingmans Dome was pretty wonderful as well -- and the other three photographers there would probably agree.</P>

<P>We drove from Indianapolis so I suspect we used the same route you will, but we didn't stop along the way so I don't have any solid recommendations. Do make sure to take I-65 south from Indianapolis to I-64 -- taking I-74 through Cincinnati is about the same distance but there's construction here that would make that difficult.</P>

<P>Good luck, have a great trip!</P>

<P>Cheers,<BR>Dave</P>

Do not stay in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge unless you like crowded sidewalks.

Try contacting Sunterra, a timeshare outfit. The place we stayed was Bent Creek, outside of town. We are timeshare owners, but some of the units may be up for rent, a common practice. The other Sunterra places I believe are in town. Renting an apartment with kitchen is a very congenial way for a married couple to travel. We saved money on food.

I agree with Dave on the waterfalls - they are definitely worth the time. The Smokies don't have as much wildlife as some areas, but I would suggest early morning at Cade's Cove, preferably at sunrise. You might see some deer and also some birds if you get off the main drag. It's also just a beautiful area, especially at sunrise and sunset (less busy at sunrise).

Have fun - the Smokies are gorgeous.

If you want a less traveled area and easy morning access to the

Cade's Cove area, then you need to stay in Townsend. There are

several motels there and also reasonably priced cabins

available with hot tubs etc. for a little over $100 a night.

You can still get to the restaurants and other places in Pigeon

Forge or Gatlinburg in less than an hour.

http://www.smokymountains.org/

On the way down, you might want to consider the Cumberland

Gap area.

Paul,

I'd definitely stay in Pigeon Forge before Gatlinburg if economy is an issue. Most hotels are dirt cheap during the week (M-Thur.) For example, the Motel 6 runs around 45.99 mid-week in the middle of June. It all depends on your tastes, just a place to sleep or a luxurious getaway.

As for a good reference, check out www.waterfallwalks.com The site has some useful information but the books by the same title has much more. There's one book just for the Smokies and surrounding areas. It has all the maps and info you need. You may find it at the bookstore and most REI's and such carry it. Amazon doesn't seem to carry the one specific to the Smokies, but you can order the book for 9.99 off the waterfallwalks.com website. Have a great time and good shooting.

BTW - A friend jst got back from the Smokies last week and told me that there was a lot already in bloom. You may want to post an update here or call the park services to see what's in bloom when you go.