I'm thinking of buying a Minolta Autocord. What is the difference

between the Autocord models (I, II and III) except the different

shutters and the possibility of using 120 and 220 film? Have they

got different lenses? Would you recommend buying the Minolta

Autocord I?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Wolfgang

I owned two different autocords at different times.

The absolute BEST one is... one that works. Shutter speeds and clean lens.

That's it. I'd recommend buying any Autocord.

I don't sound like I'm helping much, eh? The reason is that I really don't think

you're going to go wrong if you buy one that has the above things going for it.

They are too old to worry about small differences.

One thing I'd suggest is to avoid Ebay on a matter like this (though I use it all

the time) and pay extra for a guarantee from a local store. You can pick it up

and see everything for yourself. But they're real gems.

André

Every Autocord uses a 75mm Rokkor taking lens produced in Japan by Minolta. You're right about different shutters, but I have every version and they all work fine if properly maintained.

Some Autocord's are metered, some are not. The latest versions, produced in the mid-to-late 60s use a CdS meter. Of those, the very latest -CdS III- is the most valuable. It takes both 120 and 220 film, and has a switchable counter, an adjustable tensioner, and a somewhat brighter screen.

I have several; the best being an Autocord export model from 1958. It has a Seikosha MX shutter and a magical taking lens. I use it professionally. One other, a mint CdS III is still brand new and won't be used often. It's something I will keep and preserve, but it matches my un-metered user 'Cord optically. A lovely piece of photo equipment that I am most proud of.

Professionally, I use a mixture of the Autocord, a Kalloflex (another -masterful- Japanese TLR you should consider if you're into that sort of thing) and a Tessar Rollei.

So, the advice you have been given is correct. Buy on condition, not model or shutter. Even so, if you find a good deal on one and want to invest some money, the camera can be rebuilt and recovered...only the taking lens cannot be replaced, so make sure that is clear and free of fungus.

Happy hunting.

<i><blockquote> The latest versions, produced in the mid-to-late 60s use a CdS meter.

Of those, the very latest -CdS III- is the most valuable. It takes both 120 and 220 film, and

has a switchable counter, an adjustable tensioner, and a somewhat brighter screen.

</blockquote> </i><p>

Mine is all of those things ... but without an integral meter.

Hello,

thank you very much for your answers.

I think I have to look for one at ebay because the Minolta Autocord is quite rare in German camera stores.

Every Autocord has the same Rokkor 75 mm taking-lens, right? So the quality of the pictures is in all Autocord models the same? Do you know how much elements this lens has?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

Wolfgang

I don't know the answer to your last question; do an extended Google search

and you'll find it. www.dantestella.com, click on photography and then

technical; he does a review on the Autocord.

Another place to go is an Autocord users' group at Yahoo.

Like I said, I do Ebay often, and am happy to trust people at their word. If the

camera looks exceedingly clean on the outside, chances are that it's fine on

the inside.

Good luck; they're nice cameras.

One more thing--

If all the tlrs that you have locally are Rolleis, presumably Rolleicords, I'd just

as soon go with that. Sure, the Autocord's film flatness is better, but I'd take a

clean tlr that I could check out over a half-century-old camera on Ebay any

day.

André

LMXes usually have Seikosha MX shutter. I have two of them (they will be merged into one excellent camera) and both have 1,2,5,10,25,50,100,250,500,B shutter speeds (the older scheme) and the "add-the-numbers" meter coupling. Even though this is my favorite Autocord model, Seikosha MX is one of the older shutters and if it breaks, you might not find anybody who could repair it. I've had no problems getting a CLA for it but if parts are needed, situation might be more difficult.