Nikon D1X + SB-80DX Speedlight = which flash bracket?

james_whitcraft

I do now know how tall the D1x is. If it is not as tall as an F5, use the Stratos 835, else the Stratos 1035. The first numbers (8.. or 10..) signify the arm height of the otherwise identical brackets.

They are more stable, easier to use, things will not twist by themselves on Stratos, ... and compare their prices with those Strobos if you can.

I disagree with Eric on this one (height of Press-T is too short).

I tried a Press-T on my D1X and was not impressed with its height (great bracket for the F100 without MB15, but not tall enough on D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/F5). Pro-T is taller but the feel of the vertical grip is compromised. Pro-RL is great for height but kills any vertical grip use.

Stratos 1035 is ok if you don't shoot verticals (835 is a bit short but beats the Press-T by an inch).

"I disagree with Eric on this one (height of Press-T is too short)."

I don't use a bracket to acheive height. I don't get red-eye in my images because I shoot flash with a bracket with lenses from the 35mm equiv. of 28-70mm, and from about 5-15 feet. As such, but for having to shoot vertical shots, I would simply leave an SB-80DX in the hot shoe.

I shoot with a bracket solely to keep the flash directly over the shooting lens for horizontal and vertical shots. See examples:

http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/strobo.htm

I want a lightweight, compact bracket. This is why the Press T is the cat's ass. It is the best of its type of bracket.

What Eric said.

I use 2 Press-T's with my F100's (no MB-15 attached) and SB-80's for wedding

photography, and they are the cat's ass. Fast operation for verticals, very light, well built,

and well under $100.00.

And they put the flash high enough that even shots inside of 10 feet are never a problem

with red-eye in my experience.