lotsawa

Hi folks,

I've got a used Manfrotto 168 ball head (Bogen 3055). Moving the

camera doesn't work smoothly. Do you recommend greasing the head? And

if so, could I use a good bicycle grease / oil (usually use Teflon oil

for my mountain bike)?

Thanks!

Christof

Christof there are some here who have used grease but I think many would advise against it. I am not familiar with your ballhead but I wonder if it has a tension control? That control adjusts the tension between the ball and the collar so that (a) the camera doesn't flop over, and (b) it is not difficult to pan & tilt the camera. Also are you using a very light camera for the ballhead rating? If there is no tension control that could have the effect you describe.

Before putting grease on it, I would disassemble the head and clean everything with a denatured alcohol solution. Then if I still wanted to use grease I might think of a silicone spray rather than bicycle grease...

I got a huge old corroded Linhof head and put some grease, intended to be used in trucks' wheel suspension or at the conection to the trailer, into it.

It works fine now, as long as nobody forces me to wear white gloves...

i have some Manfrotto heads too, but I youst put them into shelf now.

Ditto what Peter N. said. Clean it thoroughly first and see how it runs. Grease will only be a short term fix, because it will inevitably attract and hold dirt, resulting in worse performance later. Thinking about your question, it occurred to me that if you do decide (after cleaning) that it needs a little lubrication, consider a relatively new product made for bicycle chains called "Pro-Link," or some similar name. The product dries after application to a tenacious film that doesn't attract dirt, and is proving to be ideal for bicycle chains and very likely for ball heads as well.

You might explore using graphite as a lubricant. It has potential for getting your hands, lenses, and film dirty, but it is also a dry lubricant that eventually blows off in the wind eventually. But be careful not to use too much as it could make your head flop down and break something under the stress of a rapid stop (like any lubricant).

caveat emptor,

Sean

• 7 months later...

If the ball on your Manfrotto 168 head is black, then it's made of a hard resin material, earlier ones were chromed steel.

I have been recommended not to grease the ball, as it is designed to give a certain friction in use. From my experience with the 168, the lock up is very secure, greased or not. I do lightly grease my ball heads, but then wipe it off, as this leaves a very fine residue, rather than a visible layer. It will attract dust, which will make the action stiffer than a dry ball alone. Consider getting a head cover or a tripod bag to keep things clean.

• 10 years later...